Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to recane backrest on a thonet/bentwood? Help!

Caitriona_E
Just Starting Out

How to recane backrest on a thonet/bentwood? Help!

68D3DFF9-EB26-4E52-A6FA-BF218CD27E3A.jpeg

72166BC6-29C4-4F02-944B-5BE1382A4AB5.jpeg

DBA8C3C0-639E-4E74-8A84-DE4FF417110C.jpeg

   

Hi there

I’m looking to restore this old thonet highchair. I’ve watched heaps of videos on caning seats etc but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to do the backrest on this one.

ive read other posts on here too but they are not relevant to the backrest. As you can see from the pics there are no openings at the back of the chair!

please help!

D5294A15-1DC1-484E-8848-816DA75D1389.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to recane backrest on a thonet/bentwood? Help!

Hi @Caitriona_E,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community and thanks for sharing your project with us. 

We've had a number of Bentwood chair restoration projects shared on the site, including:

Hopefully their projects will give you some help and inspiration, and they might be able to join in this discussion and share some more specific advice with you. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert in @EricL might also be able to share his thoughts on how we would tackle the repair. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Caitriona_E

Thank you for sharing your question about repairing your bentwood chair. In order to repair your bentwood chair, the rattan cover which you can clearly see at the back of the chair needs to be removed with a flathead screwdriver. This piece of rattan has been force-fitted into the gap and will be difficult to remove. Once you have the cover removed, you'll see how the cane sheet webbing was tied to the back of the chair. Please make sure to keep the cover piece as it will need to be put back in once you've repaired the weave. 

Look carefully at how the sequence of the fitting was done at the back and take pictures so that you'll have a point of reference once you remove the old weave. It will take time to weave in the new webbing so please be patient. You'll need to source the new webbing from cane specialty shops that sell spares. I've placed an image with a line indicating where the cane cover has been put in.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thank you so much @EricL ! That's really helpful.

I have one question. Do you think I can use cane sheet webbing? Or would I have to wave the cane myself??

Thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Caitriona_E

If you use cane sheet webbing, just keep in mind that you'll need to use a larger sheet as you'll need to unweave parts of it to anchor into the cane. You'll also need a single weave to run over the new weave like a running stitch. It's easier to use pre-made weaves, but if you are keen to build it from scratch, it might take you a while.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

EdwardJ
Finding My Feet

I used to do this for a living. If you ever need help again.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects