Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to refinish staircase landing?

Echonoob
Finding My Feet

How to refinish staircase landing?

Hi, I have removed the carpet from the staircase and plan on sanding and staining the treads. The landing tread looks to be made of mdf not timber. What can I do about these landing treads?

Thankyou

20210530_144539.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to refinish staircase landing?

Hi @Echonoob

Thank you for sharing your question about your staircase.

If you are after a quick turnaround of the staircase, I suggest painting the steps in a very dark grey colour and painting the stair fronts in the same colour as the walls to provide contrast.

I recommend using Dulux 1L PRECISION Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer White to seal the MDF before you apply any paint to it. However, if you wish to match the current timber highlights in the house and time is not a factor. I suggest removing the MDF or covering it with pine timber so that it can be stained the same colour as the staircase handrail.

Let me call on one of our experienced members @JoeAzza for his advice.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint MDF

Please keep us updated. We would love to see your staircase once it has been renovated. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi  @Echonoob

If you want to stain the treads, if possible remove the mdf landing and replace with a similar material as the rest of the stair case, the sand all steps and stain and clear coat in a floor varnish, maybe .@Ericl can recommend the product to use, it looks like you are removing tiles, are you going to sand the floors and polish the boards.

Yes the tiles will be replaced with new tiles. I plan on refinishing the stair treads and painting the risers. Thanks both of you for your advice. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects