Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove deep water stain from wood?

Bgriggs
Just Starting Out

How to remove deep water stain from wood?

Hi

I have just picked up a couple second hand old stools that appear to have been used as pot stands and I was hoping to restore back to use for indoors. 

The seats have some deep black staining that I'm assuming is water damage and I have tried sanding back with an electric hand sander and made some progress but is still noticeable.

Before I spend too much time on a fruitless task is there any way/method to remove the stains or do they appear too deep to rescue. The end goal is to sand all back, paint and seal the legs in white and stain and varnish the seat in Feast Watson walnut colour. 

Also, is there a likely hood that mould is an issue  with such damage that would mean they are not suitable for indoor use.

Pics are before and after sanding.

PXL_20221213_080520763.jpg

PXL_20221213_065657231.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove deep water stain from wood

Hello @Bgriggs

I suggest trying out the traditional method of washing it with water and detergent in combination with Mr Clean Handheld Iron Scrub Brush or similar. The reason for this is that using cleaning chemicals sometimes has a bleaching effect on raw unprotected timber. If the water and detergent don't work, I recommend Selleys 750ml Rapid Mould Killer Remover spray directly over the trouble spot and leave it for one minute to soak. Use the water and detergent to agitate the surface again. 

My only other suggestion is to use a gurney on the surface of the wood. If the stains are too difficult to remove it might be necessary to use a belt sander or a planer to remove the top portion of the seat.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to remove deep water stain from wood

Hi @Bgriggs  @EricL 

Hi  BGiggs i know that black stain its terrible to  sand off as its so contrastingly visable. I restored an old  table  that was  used as horse feeding mixing table in middle of the paddock it had curves everywhere and many stains. But  hidden underneath is was the most beautiful oak we still have it 35 years on.

My next door neighbour works for a mold expert identification and  removal company and after all that rain is  company thriving.

In short mold needs to be physically removed as it has super fine roots that penetrate and will grow back.  Usually liquid mold removers only kill top layer thats why it  quickly returns.

I steam  clean  bathroom areas as steam heat  helps kill spores deeper.

Sand away  your doing  well  it will remove mold spores too.  But it looks like your hand sanding time to infest in a palm sander or EricL can suggest a multi use sander for doing around those stool legs.  Or is that a sander vaccum bag under the blue tarp.  If so get the more aggressive sand paper first

Start off with 100 grain paper it  will knock that stain out quicker and all over work up  to 500 grain to get it ready for varnish

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects