Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove stubborn staining on walls and ceiling?

Azza99976
Finding My Feet

How to remove stubborn staining on walls and ceiling?

Trying to paint the lounge room but the walls and roof need to be cleaned first and there stained and dirty and is a massive job sugar soap does not help seems to make it worse need a cleaner that actually help and something easy to clean it with any ideas?

20211113_155731.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do you remove marks from a wall?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Azza99976. It's fabulous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about preparing walls for painting.

If sugar soap is not cutting through the grime, then there's a good chance that it's nicotine staining. Could that be a possibility? If it is, then I'd suggest you thoroughly scrub the walls and ceiling with Methylated Spirits changing the cloth regularly. It acts as a degreaser to break down the nicotine stains. It's the recommended product by our paint manufacturers for preparing nicotine-stained walls.

You can then use Dulux 4L PRECISION Stain, Smoke & Odour Blocker to prime the surface before painting over it.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to remove stubborn staining on walls and ceiling?

@Azza99976,

Is that an open fireplace in the room? I wonder whether the damage could be from a poor-performing chimney and whether replacing the plasterboard might be the better option...

Jason

Re: How do you remove marks from a wall?

It's both nicotine and from the fire place when it was blocked we opened the door smoke pored  out 

It's not a open fire place but when the door was open smoke did pour out from it 

Hi @Azza99976,

You likely had a bit of soot exit the fireplace, which coated the roof, but the nicotine is probably the culprit. It can be notoriously labour intensive to remove. Try the Methylated Spirits and see if it cuts through it. You'll need quite a few large bags of rags as you need to soak each rag in metho and then wipe off a section of the ceiling. You can't continue to use the same rag for too long or it will start smearing the stain around.

Let me know how you go.

Mitchell

Ok il let you know thanks 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects