Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to shave down chair arms?

hg1423
Just Starting Out

How to shave down chair arms?

1793CC7E-CE06-48F8-AC7F-EB1C89E0B62D.jpeg

Looking for some advice on how to shave off ~5mm from the vertical part of the arm  of the chair (it’s stopping the chair from sliding under a table). 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to shave down chair arms

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @hg1423. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about adjusting chair arms.

Do you have an electric sander? If you were accurate, you could cut a few millimetres off with a handsaw and then sand to finish. Since there is only 5mm to remove, I'd be inclined to take the slower route and sand them down the 5mm. There is less chance of making mistakes that way, as sanding is more forgiving. With 60-grit sandpaper and an orbital sander, you should have these adjusted in no time.

Just so you are aware, you'll be removing the finish on the chair and will need to replicate it again to match. Another option instead of adjusting the top of the armrest would be to trim down all four legs the 5mm. At least then, you won't be adjusting something in full view, and any mistake you make will be somewhat hidden down low.

Let me mention @JoeAzza, @WoodenGregsWood and @woodenwookie to see if they have some thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

"Another option instead of adjusting the top of the armrest would be to trim down all four legs the 5mm."

That's what I'd be looking to do.

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @hg1423.

Here is another option, just add a 5mm packers to the table legs, this way you won't need to modify the chairs.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=furniture%20floor%20protectors&sort=BoostOrder&page=1

https://www.bunnings.com.au/surface-gard-50mm-black-round-rubber-bumper-4-pack_p0262223

JoeAzza_0-1631401727788.png

JoeAzza_1-1631401792981.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Love your thinking, @JoeAzza! Sometimes the simplest option is the best one.

Mitchell

"Love your thinking, @JoeAzza! Sometimes the simplest option is the best one."

Yes - the best option! Clearly this is why I failed the HSC all those years ago - failure to read the question properly. I did not "see" the word - table. I thought we were dealing with a breakfast bench top. :unhappy:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade

Don't worry my friend, I was thinking along the same lines of cutting the feet of the chair instead of the armrest. I too was not reading the test question correctly. Luckily @JoeAzza was paying attention during the lesson.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects