Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to transition between existing flooring and new flooring with a 140mm gap?

Benk
Growing in Experience

How to transition between existing flooring and new flooring with a 140mm gap?

I have a transition - for lack of a better word that i need to resolve. I am not sure what to make of this but we will start from where we are.

The 2 floors are approx. 20mm difference in height - The tiled side higher. The width of the transition is approx. 140mm wide.

My thoughts was to put in a piece of yellow tongue to bring the height of the transition to the same height as the wooden floor side, then some form of timber, say as pine skirting with a sloping (from one of the bunnings workshop hacks).

Keen to hear from the wealth of knowledge in this community on how to achieve both aesthetics and functionality.

Thank you in advance.

PXL_20240304_003629125.jpgPXL_20240304_003751743.MP.jpgPXL_20240304_003801112.jpgI have aPXL_20240304_003816670.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to transition between existing flooring and new flooring with a 140mm gap?

Good Afternoon @Benk 

It always amazes me whats under a piece of flooring :smile: You actually have les sof a transition then I do at home :surprised: 

Two ways that come to mind straight up

Way One

-Place that piece back and then use something along the lines of QEP 3.3m Silver Cove Plank Trim or Roberts 3.3m Plank Cove Trim - Light Bronze  to cover the rough tiles and the step up.

Way two

- Harder to do unless you have a bench saw. You could replace that piece that you have removed with a new piece that has been cut at an angle to give you that 200mm height. You will still need a trim bit to cover from the edge of the timber to the edge of the broken tiles tho. 

Do you want a ramp or ned one or is a "step" ok?

If the step is ok then 

Way Three

- Use this Hanwood 2.4m Blackbutt Vinwrap Floating Floor Quad Trim and if you are lucky enough to have some of those spare tiles you could replace the missings ones? If not then Id be looking at an edge that covers that distance into the step. Hanwood 2.4m Brown Junior End Timbertone Flooring Trim  and cutting off the short side so you can butt it up against the tiles and cover the broken ones.

Dave

Benk
Growing in Experience

Re: How to transition between existing flooring and new flooring with a 140mm gap?

Thank you @Dave-1 for taking the time to provide me with the different options. I will probably go with the step as it may be simpler and cleaner to execute rather than a ramp of 140mm. 

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Benk 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. I believe he has covered all the bases regarding your options for covering the transition. My only reminder is to double check your measurements before you cut the transition piece. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your flooring fixed and ready for use.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects