Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to upcycle coffee table with painted drawers and varnish the rest?

justine123
Just Starting Out

How to upcycle coffee table with painted drawers and varnish the rest?

I am planning to start upcycling my dated furniture as my living area is all browns . Maybe paint with chalk paint drawers and top, varnish the rest. What size sandpaper and any tips please, newbie here

IMG20220414113328.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do i go about upcycling coffee table please. id like to paint drawers and varnish the rest

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @justine123. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about upcycling furniture.

Check out this handy step-by-step guide: How to upcycle a bedside cabinet. Styling is totally up to you, but I'd be sanding the top back and clear coating it to reveal the natural timber colour and then painting everything else. I'd also recommend considering changing up the handles, and something in the brass range would look sensational. I'm loving these brass knurled knobs at the moment.

Using Dulux Precision primer Max Adhesion will be the key to your chalk paint adhering correctly. The alternative is sanding everything, but that would be an extremely tedious process.

Let me mention a few of our upcycling experts, @lifestylebymari@craftyhopper@rubytuesday1953 and @prettyliving, to see if they have some advice.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
rubytuesday1953
Having an Impact

Re: How do i go about upcycling coffee table please. id like to paint drawers and varnish the rest

Hi @justine123 Justine123,

I love up-cycling old furniture. The best advise I can give you is prep, prep and more prep. I always remove all old hardware (and replace with new if possible) and sand back to the bare wood. I've been into to the "provincial" style for quite some time and I think it gives a timeless look.

I absolutely hate chalk paint (I've had to re-do so many of my daughter's previous projects when she used chalk paint) but it's still a personal preference.

I only use Oil based Taubmann's Tradex quick dry prep and Semi gloss top coat (I know what you're thinking "what a PITA" but it's well worth the trouble - It gives a smooth and durable finish) If you're go with the "Provincial" look or just want to stain parts I use and recommend Bondall oil based Monocel clear Satin Finish (usually takes about 4 coats with a light sand in between)

If you're going to do more up-cycling (beware you could become addicted) it would be worth it to get a palm sander and a belt sander (for the bigger projects).

I like to put wheels on the bigger cabinets to make them easier to move around (again A PITA but well worth it in the long run).

I forgot to do a before on the bedside table, but it was a nasty, ugly dark brown stain. The mdf on the back was water damaged and looked awful so I replaced it with melamine coated mdf, that I had left over from another project. I also like to paint the insides of the draws and cabinet to get rid of the old wood and cocky smell.

Let me know if you want any more info. HAPPY UP-CYCLING!!!!!

Regards@rubytuesday1953 

BeforeBeforeAfterAfterbeforebeforeDuringDuringAfterAfter20220424_112706_02.jpg20220424_112510_01.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects