Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

I need to replace this aluminium window in the bathroom. How would i go about removing it?

JumBuck
Growing in Experience

I need to replace this aluminium window in the bathroom. How would i go about removing it?

44DA57F4-19D7-485A-A3B8-09ADB975154C.jpeg

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: I need to replace this aluminium window in the bathroom. How would i go about removing it?

JumBuck

Normally remove the internal arcitrave. Then using a hacksaw blade cut the nails / screws between the wooden trim and the wall frame often just 2 or 3 each side but check top and bottom . Remove sliding panel. Put some tape across the glass incase it breaks and then it should lever out to inside. Try not to twist the frame too much in the cavity as it may cause it to jam. Sometimes there is some flashing on the outside at the bottom that you can cut with a knife. If you need to tap out do not hit frame directly with a hammer as the glass will break use a block of wood between . Make sure you wear glasses and gauntlets at the least. JDE

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: I need to replace this aluminium window in the bathroom. How would i go about removing it?

Hi @JumBuck,

Looks like you've already got some helpful advice from @JDE.

Let me also mention @MitchellMc in case he has any suggestions to add on. Just note that he'll be back on the site on Friday.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JumBuck
Growing in Experience

Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JumBuck,

It's fantastic to see you've already received some great advice from the knowledgeable @JDE. As he's mentioned, removing the timber architrave will be the first step. You'll find a pry bar useful in levering those boards off. Once they are removed, you might like to update us with an image of how the aluminium frame is connected to the house's timber frame.

I look forward to you successfully removing the frame, and please let us know if you run into any issues.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JumBuck
Growing in Experience

Thanks for your reply. I’ve successfully removed the window.  It was a painful job - old-fashioned window really stuck in behind and in front of the frame in the cavity. No flashing ... I presume this one went in before the use of flashing?  Just hoping I have measured up right for the replacement which looks like a much easier job to put in! 

JumBuck
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell. Done and dusted. Just waiting on the replacement window. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects