Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas needed for hanging items on 1863 plaster wall

Wouldy
Making a Splash

Ideas needed for hanging items on 1863 plaster wall

IMG20210202130406.jpg

IMG20210222165101.jpg

I am not able to put permanent fixtures on these walls. It is trust rules as it is a historical building that was built in 1863. 

So, I tried command hooks and it will not stick nor hold firmly to the material. I cannot drill holes either and use masonry nails. I cannot superglue anything to the walls. 

Issue is I really need to put these two MDF boards up. Using Blu tack could be an option but again will not stay stuck to the walls. 

I cannot use liquid nails. There is also some heavy stuff I need to hang. 

I'm truly out of ideas. Suggestions would be helpful. I'm also wondering if outdoor non permanent backing tape could work as a possible solution. I would still need to hang some things though. 

Thank you. 

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: 1863 plaster wall issues

That does sound like a a tricky situation @Wouldy. Keeping my fingers crossed that @MitchellMc might have some suggestions for a temporary adhesive that could work for your situation. 

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Wouldy.

Re hanging your two mdf boards, have you had a look at this type of support, I have used a similar product, available from Bunnings to hold up photography back drops, mine were used in the vertical position from another supplier, I didn't want to mount anything permanently, these props are adjustable to fit tight between two opposite walls or ceiling to floor.

If you need something to suit the area, you could make an adjust timber beam that fits snuggly in between the walls with adjustable screws and pads (to prevent damage to walls) for the feet/ends, then just mount your mdf boards to it, however, I not sure if your walls would be strong structurally to hold the timber beam.  @MitchellMc  you maybe to to assist further.

JoeAzza_3-1614034182197.png

Images of the following are my vertical installation.

IMG_8082.JPGIMG_8083.JPGIMG_8084.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's certainly an interesting predicament @Wouldy.

The command strips wouldn't be holding firmly due to contaminants or powdery plaster on the wall. Instead of sticking to the wall, they bind to the contaminants and then fall off. You could try cleaning the area you intend to stick the strips onto with an eraser pad to remove dust, dirt, and residue. After using the eraser, rub the area down with Diggers 125ml Isopropyl Cleaning Alcohol and allow it to dry before trying again. 

I do like @JoeAzza's idea of creating two vertical poles, one on either side of the wall, and running wires between them to hang things off. 

Let me mention @prettyliving and @Tara86 to see if they have any suggestions.

I look forward to hearing about a solution.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@JoeAzza 

I really like your idea and actually would use it. Issue is an incredibly high roof and it is like a loft roof. Great idea though!

Great idea @MitchellMc 

Unfortunately I don't think it will work. Rubbing these very old walls with anything would cause them to flake. I'm going to get to the drawing board again. 

I think I have come up with an idea. I will get some wire and a rustic looking idea to do with the things I need to go up. There is some pre existing holes here in the wall. I could use them and hang things from the wire. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That sounds like a brilliant solution, @Wouldy.

Please keep us updated. I trust our members would also like to see your results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc 

I realised although a good idea and I would have gone with it, I've come up with another idea. It will suit my aim and look better aesthetically with other things. 

Once I have it done, I promise I will put photos up in here for other members. 

Wouldy

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects