Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is moisture in brick wall normal?

st22
Cultivating a Following

Is moisture in brick wall normal?

Water in exterior, where brick layer stands out, on level of ground floor. Shown photos as I walk past the wall and stop to look at each hole full of water.

20220704_124124.jpg

20220704_124130.jpg

20220704_124138.jpg

  

20220704_124210.jpg

It is in this half of building, in the other half the same kind of holes are not full of water.

I am renting, just would like to know whether this looks normal - if not, then what is the name for it, both for this kind of structures and this kind of water accumulation. This would help me report it to the landlord or strata, if needed.

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is moisture in brick wall normal?

Hello @st22

Thank you for sharing your question about the moisture coming out of your brick wall. When moisture forms on the front side of the bricks, it is an indication that waterproofing was not applied behind it. This means that any moisture trapped in the soil behind the wall is flowing through the brick giving it that constant wet look.

It can also be a leak in the plumbing and waters passing through the brick seeking escape. But if it is this serious, it would have to be a very significant leak to make the entire wall wet. 

It becomes a hazard if you have to walk on it because if it is constantly wet, moss and mould will form on it making it very slippery. It will eventually damage the brick wall but it will take a long time before it becomes structurally dangerous. In the interest of safety, I recommend informing the strata management to make sure they are aware of this issue.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
st22
Cultivating a Following

Hi @EricL 

It's a vertical building wall, no walking on it involved.

Someone mentioned to me about weep holes, here is a diagram how building looks like. Hope it helps.

I will inform the strata about it and get back to you about their findings.

Meanwhile if you have any additional tips or advice, it would be most welcome, as I am interested in knowing what is going on too.

bldg-diagram.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @st22

Thank you very much for that excellent diagram of your building. I suspect that this is not the first time that this water issue on the bricks has been encountered. If holes were drilled into the wall their obvious purpose would be to help water pass through more quickly.  

Generally, in order to stop the water from passing through the bricks, the soil behind the brick wall would have to be dug up. The rear face of the brick wall would need to be sealed with waterproofing. An agi-drain hose would be placed along the bottom of the brick wall to divert the accumulated water out into the drain.

However, because the wall has been soaked for quite some time, it will probably take a while before the entire brick wall dries up again. 

Eric

st22
Cultivating a Following

Hi again @EricL Thank you for your response. Could you please upload a diagram to illustrate your note about water proofing the brick wall - I have trouble following starting from "rear face of the brick wall" - is this the side of brick wall that faces the interior, like garage or apartment - if so, then what is it made of and where would the drain hose go and where would the water go then? Many thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @st22

I've placed a general diagram of what it could look like. This is the common fix applied when water is permeating the brick wall. Accessibility and cost are usually the two factors that need to be considered when considering this kind of repair.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Eric

st22
Cultivating a Following

Hi @EricL Thank you for the clarification

The other side of the wall is not soil, it is interior - garage. attached diagram of view of the building from the back, rather than from the side

Drawing(1).jpeg

1) as the brick wall does not side with soil on that level (marked with green arrow) does it mean waterproofing of the brick wall does not matter?

2) what's the purpose of weeps - there is a dozen of them at bottom of L1 - as if water ever enters a brick wall i.e. L1 and above - seems it does enter and the purpose of weeps is to remove the water - how does this water enter the brick wall?

3.1) I agree the drain pipe or its outlet being blocked could be a problem. does it usually finish above the ground or is it usually underground? I think there is a blocked drain in backyard, I will need to also send a note of it to strata

3.2) is this drain pipe for brick wall located below soil level, or above soil level?

thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @st22,

It's hard to tell where the water might be coming from. If this issue is only prevalent after heavy rain, then it's likely that ground water is seeping out of the foundations. I have a similar problem at my house. I'm on a slope, and water gets under the house and weeps out through the lowest brick wall.

Mitchell

st22
Cultivating a Following

is it normal for such a double brick wall to have condensation on the inner side facing the interior - in the mornings - on walls which are facing the street only, not on common walls? or is it also a symptom of a structural problem? (this condensation results in mould when furniture is standing next to the wall, this didn't happen before)

the wall is painted on the inside and on top of this paint there is mould. easy to remove and i will need to move furniture, but if it's structural problem then i will need to clearly write about that to the agent

many thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @st22,

Are you referring to the same wall as the above images but on the other side or a completely different wall? Either way, I wouldn't call it normal to have condensation on an internal wall. If this space is open to the outside and elements, it could be water in the air condensing on the wall in the mornings.

I couldn't say whether this is an indication of a structural issue. However, if this is an undercover car park exposed to the elements, then it's pretty standard for condensation to form once warm air in the morning hits a cold surface and reaches its dew-point.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects