Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Knocking sound when turning on cold water

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Knocking sound when turning on cold water

When I turn on my cold water I get a loud knocking sound which I believe is to do with pressure and air pockets. Hoping someone has some tips to avoid having to get the pricey plumbers out.

I've tried turning off mains, expelling all water from the lowest point and leaving it open then turning the water back on (or something to that effect (sorry I did it a couple of months back)) and it seemed to help but not resolve and the issue seems to be worsening again.
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Darren
Making a Splash

Re: Knocking sound when turning on cold water

Hey Pete,

We had a similar issue a few months back but it occurred when we turned our hot water on. Turned out there was an issue with a valve in our hot water service, which required a visit from a plumber... Hope you can find a solution to your water woes!

Dave
Building a Reputation

hi @ProjectPete

im no pro when it comes to plumbing - but had a similar issue. "water hammer". could be because there is too much water pressure and/or your pipes are not fixed properly. if you can get access to the pipes you can check it and use saddles to fix the pipe more securely.

if your pipes are secured you may need to consider getting a plumber in to reduce the pressure for you.

alernatively if it is not a mixer tap - you can get tap valves that help with this problem at most hardware stores.

Fyre
Cultivating a Following

Is it only happening with one set of taps?. ie. Is it just the taps that go into your washing machine or dishwasher for example?.  That would be water hammer and easy fixed with some anti water hammer valves which just screw in between you tap head and connecting pipe.

If it is happening to all taps and if you have the traditional spindle tap handles, water hammer won't be the issue as you aren't shutting off the water flow quickly.

May pay to get under the house or in the roof and get someone to replicate the issue.  Could very well be a loose pipe.

All else fails, call in a plumber.

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

It happens on all cold taps, both mixer and spindle. Interested (for me anyway) if I turn hot on first on the kitchen mixer for example then switch straight to cols, I prevent the knocking sound.

To be more specific, the knocking sound occurs when first turning cold water on and stops by opening the tap further, or by waiting it out for 5 seconds or so.

Knocking also happens (intermittently) when flushing the toilet.
----------
Handy and helpful
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

It happens on all cold taps, both mixer and spindle. Interestingly (for me anyway) if I turn hot on first on the kitchen mixer for example then switch straight to cols, I prevent the knocking sound.

To be more specific, the knocking sound occurs when first turning cold water on and stops by opening the tap further, or by waiting it out for 5 seconds or so.

Knocking also happens (intermittently) when flushing the toilet.
----------
Handy and helpful
Helen
Having an Impact

So helpful, thank you for this post! I have this problem since I got my new LG front load washer, it is only for the start of a wash, then it is fine. Reading your post I understand what is happening & will check out these anti hammer valves at Bunnings.

I'm having exactly same problem.. I hear sound when i turn on cold water. It happens with all taps and same as yours, flush8ng toilet, running washing machine, using outdoor garden hose... 

Did you end up fixing it?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ankitannex. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Let me mention @ProjectPete to see if he can give us an update on this situation and whether there was a solution.

We look forward to hearing all about your projects around the house and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or had something to share with the community.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello @ProjectPete 

I know this thread has been over a week. Might I suggest this beauty! Place it at the most persistent tap that has knocking on it. It should fix the problem.

Cheers,

Red

Screenshot_2020-08-30 Sioux Chief 15mm Size A Hydra-Rester Water Hammer Arrestor With Conetite Tee.png

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects