Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Modern Scandi dog bed

j450n74y
Building a Reputation

Modern Scandi dog bed

Built a new bed for our dog..

20220526_195029.jpg

20220526_195035.jpg

Build 20220526_200040.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Modern Scandi Dog Bed

Hello @j450n74y

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your modern scandi dog bed project.

I'm sure your dog just loves its new bed. Did it immediately take possession of it or was it a bit cautious and investigated first? I see you also used Kreg jigs to give it that beautiful no screw heads visible look. What materials did you use to build the frame? Did you seal it with anything or did you just leave it bare? 

I know these are a lot of questions, but I'm sure our members would be keen to know more about how you built it. Any other extra information you can share about your project would be much appreciated.

Again, thank you for sharing such a modern creative project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
j450n74y
Building a Reputation

Re: Modern Scandi Dog Bed

Hi,

Kreg pocket screws on 2 types of dressed pine planks. Bottom slightly thicker than the frames. Could be built with slats at the bottom but left if empty as a dog mattress just sits under it on the floor.

Kmart mattress which I bought and built the frame to fit.

An old blanket and a few treats was enough for him to jump in!

Bed sits indoors so didn't treat the wood and left it bare. I guess some Danish oil wouldn't hurt but I liked the stock colour and texture

Mumrenofun
Just Starting Out

Re: Modern Scandi dog bed

I'm a beginner who's curious/interested in making a bed like this. Where would you recommend I start for this project? Where would be the best place to get the information for what I would need to do and how I would do it?
YouTube maybe?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Mumrenofun. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about this fantastic project.

Let me mention @j450n74y to see if they can help answer your question. They're using some straightforward construction techniques and readily available products, so I trust we'll be able to guide you through this process.

The best place to start would be to pick up the materials and source the correct tools for the job. Let's see what additional information @j450n74y can provide, and then we'll work from there.

Mitchell

j450n74y
Building a Reputation

Hi I'm just a beginner too. Definitely need a mitre saw to cut the 45degrees. I got a kreg jig to attach the wood but there are other methods like dowel or just normal wood screws and glue. 

I learnt everything on YouTube in terms of using the jig etc.

this bed is a kids bed I scaled down to size. If you look up Montessori kids beds, there's plans and a guide. 

Let us know how you go looking up those plans @Mumrenofun. Here's a rendering I've put together for you. It should help with understanding the individual parts and how the bed is put together.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Dog bed.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects