Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New Flooring with a Dog, Linen Cupboard and Internal Doors

lina8988
Getting Established

New Flooring with a Dog, Linen Cupboard and Internal Doors

Hi there,

Hope everyone is well,

I was wondering if I can grab some advice from you guys in relation to flooring.
I currently have polished hardwood flooring at home, there are very big gaps in between so i'm thinking about replacing them (as things seem to keep falling through).

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to which flooring is suitable for a dog? I'm thinking laminate? floating wooden floors?

Also on top of the flooring, I plan to get a brand new linen cupboard installed (will need to remove old one) and change all the internal bedroom doors.

I was wondering, do you get the flooring done first or linen cupboard and bedroom doors? (in which order is the best?)

Also, if you are in Sydney - if you can kindly recommend me a place for flooring - that would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much for reading and replying x

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: New Flooring with a Dog, Linen Cupboard and Internal Doors

Welcome to Workshop @lina8988. We're pleased you could join us and look forward to reading more about your projects and plans. We trust you'll get loads of helpful advice and inspiration for your projects from our amazing members. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand. 

Could you share some photos of your floorboards so members can see what you're working with? Have you considered filling the gaps between your floorboards? 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lina8988
Getting Established

Hi Jason, thanks for the reply.

When I purchased the house I got it repolished and filled but I think the gaps are just to wide and I'm not exactly happy with the colour. The photo isn't that clear but the gap fits around 5 pieces of A4 paper. 

Here's a photo for reference and my dog 🐶

IMG_20191010_114236_1.jpg

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

It would be a shame to cover those beautiful hardwood floors @lina8988.

One D.I.Y. option would be vinyl - https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/flooring/laminate-and-vinyl/how-to-lay-vinyl-plank-flooring

You would do the cabinetry first as these flooring panels are very easy to trim. 

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Timber-look floating laminate floor could go over your hardwood and let you go back to the original hardwood floors down the track if you wanted to - https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/flooring/laminate-and-vinyl/how-to-lay-laminate-flooring

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

While it's always a shame to lose hardwood floors, I understand your need @lina8988 

Laminate floorboards would be the way to go. They're quite hard wearing. Stick with a matte/satin finish and you'll minimise the prominence of scratches (semi-gloss/gloss show the scratches much more easily). Also, look for an AC4 rating.

Another option is hybrid/SPC flooring. These are fully waterproof so protect against spills and "naughty pets" (but if your dog is well trained you may not need to worry about this). Hybrid/SPC flooring is great but is a) more expensive than laminate, and b) isn't as acoustically sound (no pun intended) as a nice 12mm laminate floorboard.

Do the flooring first, that way your new doors can be made/cut to size and installed once. If you did your doors first, then floors, you may need to remove doors, cut and reinstall which is wasted effort and increases risk of damaging doors.

Hope this helps!

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Thanks so much for the reply. 

I've gotten a few quotes, everyone seems to suggest Hybrid and do the flooring first :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects