Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Our renovation diary

BrettBuilt
Cultivating a Following

Our renovation diary

RenoDiary.jpeg

Hi all,  new to this group, but wanted a place to consolidate all the info, photos and our "trials and tribulations" related to our slowly progressing renovation project. This is a self-renovation meaning I am either doing all the work myself, or in the intrests of time, assisting various builders, electricians, plumbers or other trades that I have, or will engage, to complete the work.

The house is an old two-storey 70's pole home on the Brisbane Water at Point Clare (NSW, Central Coast). The orginal Pole house was converted many moons ago into the two-story configuration that exists today.  My wife and I (and 3 kids) purchased the house about 13 years ago and we have lived in it largely unchanged since then - but it is now getting very tired, despite the hours of maintence and just needs updating.

So far I have renovated 3 bedrooms by ripping up carpet, coating the quite nice Cypress Pine floor boards, replacing all the skirts and achitraves and repairing walls and painiting.  We have also installed a large deck (with a builder involved) from the second storey and installed a pool.  I will post some photos of those completed tasks and then provide a schedule of the projects upcoming and share details and photos of those as we go.

Big jobs, so this discussion may go on for quite a while....

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Our Renovation Diary

Welcome to Workshop @BrettBuilt. We're thrilled to have you join us and are excited about sharing your renovation journey with you. We're sure that you'll get plenty of helpful advice and inspiration from other members along the way.

In addition to your diary updates, feel free to hit the Start a discussion button if you ever hit a snag and need help with anything. And please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Looking forward to seeing how your renovation project progresses in the coming weeks and months.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BrettBuilt
Cultivating a Following

Yous said "Looking forward to seeing how your renovation project progresses in the coming weeks and months."  Haha, could be years...:grin:

Allan72
Having an Impact

Hey @BrettBuilt. Looking forward to tracking your progress. Would like to see your before and after shots. Enjoy. Allan72 

BrettBuilt
Cultivating a Following

Thanks. Will starting putting some pics up in the day or so. Here is a small job I did over the last couple of days. 319FE998-0464-4F9F-B56B-038C7D96F382.jpeg

Before and after. Replaced the grandma tiles in the toilet. Bathroom makeover next. 

BrettBuilt
Cultivating a Following

Well I moved my efforts from the toilet to the bathroom. Based on the toilet I thought I could knock this over pretty quickly. I was wrong. Not sure why the tile glue in the toilet was so different to that in the bathroom but it was clear early on that the glue was the same stuff they use to stick the heat tiles on the Space Shuttle. Maybe I can get them off if I cut the tiles up a bit!Cutting the up didn’t work. Move to plan CCutting the up didn’t work. Move to plan C

So the only thing left was to cut the tiles out along with the underlying wall. Tiles gone, but so is the wall.Tiles gone, but so is the wall.

So replaced the wall!

Wall replacedWall replaced

Tiles added to the new wall!Tiles added to the new wall!

SuccessSuccess
A bit more effort required, but the end result looks ok. Just have to refurb the grout on the floor, install new vanity, shower screen, towel rails etc, paint and it’s done.  Unfortunately the shower screen won’t be delivered until 15 Jan. Oh well, it will give me time to get the rest of the bathroom tasks done.

Here is the original bathroom.Here is the original bathroom.

I will add an after photo when completed  

Hi @BrettBuilt,

Hope all is well. Just wondering how your renovation work is progressing? Are you hard at it or taking a break at the moment?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Prawns
Becoming a Leader

Looks great :smile: Tiling is somthing Ive not been game to try yet - you did a great job I hope mine turns out half as good when i eventually get into the bathroom here

BrettBuilt
Cultivating a Following

Thank you. It was a bit of effort but just replacing the trim tiles has given it a more contemporary feel. Almost finished the room, with the shower screen coming next week.  I will put photos up once I’m done. 

BrettBuilt
Cultivating a Following

No break, still hard it it. Have replaced all the trim tiles, regrouped the floor tiles, installed a floating vanity and related plumbing, replaced a few cracked tiles and installed towel rails etc. etc..  Shower screen coming next week and once installed it wii be complete. I will post photos when done.Remove old trim tiles and ceramic towle rail and soap holders etc..Remove old trim tiles and ceramic towle rail and soap holders etc..Trim tiles installed - very fidly work.  Will go for a different type of tile next time!Trim tiles installed - very fidly work. Will go for a different type of tile next time!The sheets came like this so I had to slice them upThe sheets came like this so I had to slice them upReplaced the towel rails, soap holders etc with a few spare tiles I had on hand (lucky!)Replaced the towel rails, soap holders etc with a few spare tiles I had on hand (lucky!)Removed the old shower screen and set up up a temp shower :)Removed the old shower screen and set up up a temp shower :smile:Did a bit of fixing and waterproofing to finish the shower area.  Replaced the old drain as wellDid a bit of fixing and waterproofing to finish the shower area. Replaced the old drain as wellAll tiles now in place :)All tiles now in place :smile:Remover the old vanity - 15 years of eewww!Remover the old vanity - 15 years of eewww!Had to remove the floor pipe and have it come out of the wallHad to remove the floor pipe and have it come out of the wallHad to cut out the wall in the opposite room to get to relocate the pipeHad to cut out the wall in the opposite room to get to relocate the pipePipe in :)Pipe in :smile:Pipe and floor pipe done - No the new vanityPipe and floor pipe done - No the new vanityReplaced the bath and floor wastes while I had access to the crawl space between the floors - Fun job NOT!Replaced the bath and floor wastes while I had access to the crawl space between the floors - Fun job NOT!New Vanity done :)New Vanity done :smile:New towel rail done :)New towel rail done :smile:New shower head :)New shower head :smile:Glass shelf added as wellGlass shelf added as wellAnd a Towel rackAnd a Towel rackNeeded a rest on Xmas day! A jug of Sangria and watching Grand Designs on TVNeeded a rest on Xmas day! A jug of Sangria and watching Grand Designs on TVGo a garden shed for Xmas - Build that on Boxing Day - Man it was a hot day.Go a garden shed for Xmas - Build that on Boxing Day - Man it was a hot day.The shower screen came today - An hour later and we have a shower :)The shower screen came today - An hour later and we have a shower :smile:Just need to give the bathroom a really good clean and paint the door and trims and it's all done. About $3500 all up. Next up is the hall floors, replace trims/skirts and paint.  Then I move to the big kithen, dining and lounge build downstairs.Just need to give the bathroom a really good clean and paint the door and trims and it's all done. About $3500 all up. Next up is the hall floors, replace trims/skirts and paint. Then I move to the big kithen, dining and lounge build downstairs.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects