Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Plasterboard repair?

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Plasterboard repair?

Hi Folks,

I happened to be doing a small electrical job for a mate of mine, this afternoon, when he mentioned over a beer that he had something (unrelated) that he wanted me to have a look at.

Kyle rents this place and his landlord is quite cranky and won't get anything fixed, he will evict anyone on the slightest sense of property damage.

Anyhow, Kyle had his brother staying at his place for a few months and his bed had no head-board on it, while this isn't property damage per se, it doesn't look that nice.

His brothers head has damaged the plasterboard enough to expose the chalk under the paper (see pic below), I have no idea what the brown smear mark is to the left either!

Is there any easy fix to this, given that Kyle's next property inspection is in late January, surely, you can't just paint over this and make it look convincing.

I was thinking cleaning the area up with sugar soap and water, however that may not be that great with exposed gypsum.

I'll take any ideas you folks have.

Thanks,

Mike T. Bedroom wallBedroom wall

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Plasterboard repair?

Hey @MikeTNZ,

There's a similar discussion going on at the moment here - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Living-and-Bedroom/Some-help-with-what-to-do-with-painted-over-wallpa...

Helpful members like @Mathy and @Shane have shared some great advice. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

I suggest using a stanley knife cut a small clean portion of the plasterboard ( in a hidden spot, usually behind the door )  about the size of a 10c coin, no smaller than this. Bring this small cut out to any Bunnings store for a "sample pot" color match. should cost anywhere from $10 and up. Buy a small tub of plaster repair and some sand paper. Lightly sand to remove the brown smudges and dirt. Lightly coat with plaster repair. Let dry and sand lightly to level. Wipe with clean rag or paper towel untill dust is gone. Paint first coat let dry and second to finish. Don't forget to fix the small cut out you did behind the door! Smile at inspection. Good luck!    

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Great advice @redracer01.

I'm sure @MikeTNZ really appreciates it.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

redracer01,

Thanks mate, that is awesome advice, especially about getting the small sample from behind a door.

You'd think with an iPhone that there would be an app that you could colour-match a picture of a wall and take that to

somewhere like Bunnings.

The landlord in this place, painted over the existing wallpaper, (like a lot of them do here).

We'll give this a try!

Cheers,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects