Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Raising inspection point - sewerage pipe

newfast
Having an Impact

Raising inspection point - sewerage pipe

Hello All,

Recently, we did camera inspection of our sewerage line and overall its good but there are some small cracks and some places where tissues can stuck. Small area has shrub  roots growing and interested to know if users conduct jet cleaning by themselves or via plumber?

Now the main thing, we have 2 inspection points under house and 2nd one is under blue metal (pics attached). Instead of removing all the garden gear then pull out blue metal, I would like to know if I can raise this inspection point? Perhaps use 100mm pvc and then a plastic cover on top but I am no expert and hoping someone can throw some light on this??

PXL_20210508_034315312.jpg

PXL_20210508_034245170.jpg

PXL_20210508_034222739.jpg

PXL_20210508_034227681.jpg

PXL_20210428_014754112.jpg

  

newfast
Having an Impact

Re: Raising inspection point - sewerage pipe

@MitchellMc tagging you for guidance as usual :wink:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @newfast,

If it is only occasional heavy blockages or tree roots, I would suggest a professional is your best choice. The equipment they use is a lot more powerful than any D.I.Y. products. If you do want to attempt removing blockages yourself, you can purchase a Karcher High Pressure Cleaner Pipe Cleaning Kit. This kit would be suitable for removing light blockages and debris. 

I'd suspect that the black rubber O ring will slip over a Holman 100mm x 1m PVC DWV Pipe. The pipe and O ring are then pushed back into the terracotta pipe. Make sure the O ring is pushed in nice and tight, sealing the pipe in place. You'd then cut the pipe to just below the finished ground level. A Holman 100mm PVC DWV Bolted Trap Screw can then be glued to the pipe, and you can backfill the surrounding gravel.

Alternatively, you could leave the terracotta access intact. Cut the bottom off an Everhard EasyDRAIN Polymer Rainwater Pit Case and place it over the current arrangement. You can then backfill gravel around it. An Everhard EasyDRAIN Polymer Grate to Suit Flo-Way Pit is placed on the pit and lifted when you need to access the terracotta fitting.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc 

Thank you for your reply, may I please ask the link for O ring item as site showing different products.

Tha

Screenshot_20210516-073009.png

nks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @newfast,

I've double-checked with a team member in-store, and unfortunately, those large O rings are no longer available. If the current one can't be re-used, you could excavate slightly more around the terracotta and attach a Deks 100mm EW To PVC Rubber Joiner Adaptor. If it fits the mouth on the terracotta pipe, I would prefer this attachment method, as it has a mechanical fixing instead of just the push-fit. Could you please measure across the terracotta and tell me the size? We could then work out whether the Deks adaptor will suit.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc ,

I managed to do the attached (see pics). Please advise if it is acceptable or do I need to dig more? The inside rubber is bit loose as you can see the bend in pics        

PXL_20210518_071643201.jpg

PXL_20210518_071701471.jpg

PXL_20210518_071733180.jpg

PXL_20210518_071739283.jpg

PXL_20210518_071857467.jpg

PXL_20210518_071842147.jpg

PXL_20210518_071827061.jpg

PXL_20210518_071739283.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @newfast,

Thanks for sharing pictures of your progress.

@MitchellMc will be more than happy to help when he's back on the site on Friday.

Stevie

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @newfast,

That's a fair bit larger than what I was expecting. My hope was that we could attach a Deks 100mm EW To PVC Rubber Joiner Adaptor over the terracotta to convert it to PVC. Unfortunately, jumping from 190mm down to 100mm is not possible with Deks fittings, at least not without several convoluted step-down pieces. I'm now even more inclined to suggest cutting the bottom off an Everhard EasyDRAIN Polymer Rainwater Pit Case, placing it over the current arrangement and backfilling with gravel around it. The pit won't be connected to the drain, merely there to hold the soil/gravel back around it and give you an easy access point at ground level.

Let me mention @redracer01 to see if he had any ideas.

Mitchell

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @newfast 

Perhaps you can try using a finishing collar in reverse then attach the inspection cover over it. You will need to join them with a bit of PVC 100mm pipe that you will need to cut at the height that is suitable for your purposes. You will need to use deks 2 part glue to attach the PVC to the earthenware pipe. Remember that deks is an air activated glue and must be mixed under water. Be sure to wear protective gear. 

Cheers.

Red 

Screenshot_2021-05-21-23-08-38-60.jpg

Use this upside down.

Screenshot_2021-05-21-23-09-08-09.jpg

Screenshot_2021-05-21-23-11-34-69.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

@redracer01, and @MitchellMc 

Really appreciate the guidance and providing various options. I will visit northmead or carlingford store and checkout these products.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects