Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Recladding 1960s home - how to reclad wall butting against slab?

Jkyeoman
Getting Established

Recladding 1960s home - how to reclad wall butting against slab?

Hi, we own a 1960 home on brick piers. the timber cladding is original and really showing it’s age; looking to replace it with weathertex and put insulation in the walls.  Running through what I need to do but having a bit of a head scratch for about how to approach the front porch. Obviously the house was built / clad and then the cement slab for the porch was put in place. How do I now reclad the 2 walls the the slab buts up against? Sorry if this is something really straight forward, I do tend to overthink things. I have attached a couple of photos if that helps explain what I am talking about.

83A0A5BA-B1A2-44C4-989B-A45F4C4C0605.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: recladding question

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jkyeoman. It's fabulous that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question.

I'll admit I haven't done any cladding myself, but I'd imagine you could potentially fix the cladding to some timber and then insert it down next to the slab. You should then have enough room inside the stud frame to nail or screw your timber to the house's frame. I'll include some images that might better explain my suggestion.

Let me mention @ProjectPete and @TedBear to see if they had some ideas.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

That looks like a brilliant solution @MitchellMc

Even if @Jkyeoman can't reach down to do up the bolts, those timber strips could just be bolted up higher, since there won't be anything bumping them down there to make them move. 

Jkyeoman
Getting Established

Thanks for the suggestion, I can see how that would work; I am planning on using wall wrap too, not sure how I would apply it and still be able to access the cavity to fix the extra timber once the wall was wrapped. I don’t want to have to cut it or only partially install as that would defeat the purpose of it.

Jkyeoman
Getting Established

Just had a thought, could I use noggins along the bottom plate to and fix the cladding to that?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jkyeoman,

I've reached out to the Weathertex technical assistance team with details of your installation needs. I'll let you know as soon as I hear back from them.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I've heard back from Weathertex @Jkyeoman.

They've suggested that stopping the boards at the slab and continuing behind it with Colourbond sheeting or a Z flashing would be advisable. You'll install your wall wrap, fix the flashing over it at the height of the slab and then start your first board on top of it. I'll include some images below to illustrate.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects