Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Recommendations needed for interior timber floor stain

Renowayoflife
Becoming a Leader

Recommendations needed for interior timber floor stain

We have just laid new hoop pine flooring beside 100 year old hoop pine and I'd love to hear from the community your thoughts on how we should finish them.

I had been thinking Japan Black but wanted to get more opinions from others who have stained or used oil on a similar mix of old and new. 

I don't like yellow tones. We are planning to sand back the original floors, there is some staining around edges of the original floors but they haven't been stained, it looks like they've been covered in carpets since they were laid circa 1915.

I don't like yellow tones .DIY FlooringDIY Flooring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndwi7lrkIek

Claire & Derek

Ins @Renowayoflife

TT @renowayoflife 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Recommendations needed for interior timber floor stain

Hi @Renowayoflife,

If you could post a picture of the difference between the new and old sanded flooring, it would really help our members provide some specific advice. The difference in appearance will determine what options you have available. A darker tone like Japan Black will mask differences effectively. However, light-toned stains will have difficulty covering significant differences in timber colour. If there is a drastic difference from new to old, you might need to look at doing multiple stain coats on the lighter of the two timbers to darker it more.

I'll be keen to see what you're working with and provide further advice.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects