Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Remove Phone Jack on wall

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

Remove Phone Jack on wall

Hi Workshoppers, 

I want to remove the old phone jack on the wall in the kitchen and plaster up the hole.

My question is, is it safe to just cut the wire and push it back into the cavity before I cover over it?

I just got NBN connected so the old phone line is now redundant.

Thanks,

Stuart.

phone jack.jpg

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Re: Remove Phone Jack on wall

Yes it's perfectly safe to cut the phone line..
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Probably heaps of Aussies doing this at the moment! 

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

Thanks Guys, I have a respect for anything with wires and leave that to the sparkys. I am going to unscrew it and push the whole thing into the cavity then patch it up. The phone on the wall is then relegated to the history books.

You can get blank plates that you could use from the hardware or electrical shop. We did this and it looked fine and if we ever need to put a powerpoint or data point in - easy to retrofit.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-blank-wall-cover-plate_p4430455

Good idea @robchin , a kitchen reno is in the future so I may need it.

Cheers,

Agree Stuardo, 

These wires have a small amount of current running through them so best to leave it intact and push it into the wall. 

As for patching, you can also purchase a a patch from Bunnings, add some multi purpose compound over a few days with drying and sanding in between, and a lick of paint will bring it back to brand new. 

This is a link to the pre-made wall patch sold at Bunnings:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/pfeiffer-15cm-plaster-repair-wall-patch_p1660009

If you have any questions on how to use these, have a chat to either your paint or DIY team member at your local Bunnings warehouse. 

Here is a link to using a more traditional method to repaire holes in plaster:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/home-improvement/walls/how-to-fix-a-hole-in-a-plaster-wall

-Adam 

** Currently employed @ Bunnings however my posts, ideas, projects, views & opinions are my own personal & not Bunnings **
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

If NBN is connected, your old phone line should be inactive, unless it is connected to the phone point on your providers modem.

Please check if connected, mine was connected to the Optus modem. I disconnected it, because no longer required the LAN line.

Hi @JoeAzza 

The phone line was inactive so I pushed it all back into the cavity and patched the hole. Would never know it was there!

Cheers,

Stuart.

deans
Just Starting Out

Hi @JoeAzza how do you go about disconnecting the phone line connection to the modem?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects