Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Reno vs knock down rebuild vs sell and buy somewhere else

RenoLover
Finding My Feet

Reno vs knock down rebuild vs sell and buy somewhere else

Hi All, 

I have an old 1970s original house with original kitchen and bathroom.  everything is outdated.  We bought the house 10 years ago with plan to renovation. However over the time things changed and we did nothing... 

I have no idea about building /reno.  So I am considering following: 

1. Do basic renovation - i.e. bit of extension to have a bigger kitchen with pantry and family area, new bathroom, reno ensuite. 

Open up house from the back to have a conenction from outdoor  (Very ambitious for a novice)

2. Knock down and rebuild - very expensive 

3. sell it and found something that fits my need (very easy option )

Any suggestion

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Re: Reno vs knock down rebuild vs sell and buy somewhere else

Hi @RenoLover and welcome to the Workshop community. I guess I would start considering possible options based on:

1. How old I am

2. Do I like where I live - amenities, neighbours etc. If you have children, does where you currently live offer them choices for schools, recreation, sport, cultural activities etc.

3. Is there a chance that your 1970s home contains asbestos, which might make everything problematic and expensive?

4. Selling and buying something else sounds easy, but consider the costs - agent’s fees, stamp duty etc.

5. Many 1970s properties are of very sturdy, double brick construction, which is not only good for renovation, but they are also more energy efficient. They can also be easier to transform internally because double brick walls have greater load bearing capacity.

I speak as someone who has renovated 3 cheap, older properties in order to achieve a desired living space, but on all three occasions, we were a couple - no children to be concerned about, in terms of having to “camp” in the house without shower/kitchen etc., for a couple of months.

I’m sure others will be along to offer some additional thoughts, cheers Deb :smile:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @RenoLover,

Welcome to Workshop and thanks for joining in the discussion.

As I wrote in this discussion a long time ago, I can't help feeling a little sad when I see a wonderful house knocked down in our area but I can understand people taking that option as it can be more cost effective than a large renovation. Check out some of the comments from other members on the topic, as well as this previous discussion kicked off by @ProjectPete.

I would also encourage you to share some photos of your house and a floorplan so members can give more informed advice about what you might be able to achieve with either a modest or a more comprehensive renovation. 

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Yeah, wouldn't considering selling and finding something that perfectly fits your needs as a very easy option. It can be very difficult, expensive and time consuming, especially with the market on the tear again and reasonably low levels of stock. 

Be good if you could post some photos @RenoLover 

RenoLover
Finding My Feet

Agree with all comments about option 3. selling and buying it somewhere else. 

I kept the house as i love neighbourhood, area, and for kids - its their home, we have gone through some hard time recently. 

Also, by doing my maths, realised, this option is money loosing option - stampduty, selling fee, preparing house for sale.  

With option 1 - I also think, older houses has a character. 

Option 2  - house may have asbestos, in some areas.  It has bathroom in the back...which is blocking the view to the backyard. 

bedrooms are small.  

Option 2a - I thought about renovating to back side. taking kitchen to back and use sunroom as lounge. It was requiring move bathroom to one bedroom.   

Option 2b - Extend sideways (next to kitchen (yellow block))...Extend kitchen in the same place.  shrink bathroom (by combing laundary and toilet). Merge shower and bath area to new extended area to create a bigger family area.  

Laundary, either I can take downstairs or near kitchen in Pantry. Sunroom can be turned into fourth bedroom with opening to new outside deck (brown area)

Please see the house plan and advice. house plan.JPG 

house plan 2.JPG

Have you got a bigger image of the houseplan?

What are your goals for the reno? What does the house currently lack? 

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hey RenoLover,

From the perspective of an Electrician, what shape is the wiring in?

Have you had the wiring insulation tested by an Electrician?, that will give any homeowner the best idea of what shape the wiring is in, also the Electrician should go and do a visual inspection in the roof void, especially where mice might chew the cables or the place still has old steel conduit or (worse) Rubber-Sheathed cables that are 50+ years old, these two types of cables are a real fire hazard.

Just be aware that brand new socket-outlets and light switches on the walls, means nothing about the fact that the place has been re-wired since it was built, especially in buildings where it is hard to get new cables installed.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects