Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Repair damaged table top.

Cath2
Just Starting Out

Repair damaged table top.

I am wondering what the best way would be to repair my damaged timber table top. The damaged area is about 1cm x 3cm long and I don't really want to have to refinish the whole table top if not necessary. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.20190812_122621.png

I am wondering what the best way would be to repair my damaged timber table top. The damaged area is about 1cm x 3cm and I don't really want to have to refinish the whole table top if not necessary. Thank you.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Repair damaged table top.

Sorry to hear of your damaged tabletop @Cath2. Do you know what type of timber it is and what the finish is? I'm sure our helpful members would be happy to make some suggestions for you, but if you could provide as much detail about the table as possible it will help our members provide more specific and useful advice. 

Welcome to Workshop. We're really pleased you could join us and look forward to reading about more of your projects and plans for around the home and garden.  

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Cath2
Just Starting Out

Thanks Jason sorry I'm not sure of the timber or finish. General advice on repairing this type of damage would be very useful. Thanks.

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Can you get the damaged piece down flat @Cath2? I think you will need to sand back the whole table top, and use some wood filler (putty) for the hole.  

Cath2
Just Starting Out

Thanks MartyH I can probably flatten the splintered piece back in. Could I then glue/clamp it ?
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Cath2,

Let me tag some of our keen woodworkers in the community to see how they might approach the repair.

@woodalwaysworks@Yorky88@AndrewJones@Brad@Rusty-Saw@gbaker1512@Johnnynl@Poppop@kel         

Thanks for your patience,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

It looks very splintered. To flatten it out, you might have to use a small screwdriver to push from underneath while you manipulate all the pieces back into place from the top. Once you get all the pieces interlocked back together as good as you can, you'll most likely have to do some sanding to completely flatten the repair.Try wrapping the sandpaper around one finger tip to reduce the area that you are sanding and therefore reduce damage to the surrounding finish. Bunnings have different coloured putties so you might be able to find something that closely matches you table top. Work it into any low spots or cracks with a spatula. If your lucky, you might be able to smooth the putty out with a damp flat sponge and then not need to sand it, further reducing damage to the area. I doubt it will be an unnoticeable repair but at least it will be useable.
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

If you can flatten it down, I would use super glue on the individual splinters. You could also try using a caul to clamp across the top remembering to use tape on it to stop it sticking to your top as the PVA type glues won't stick to the plastic tape. Steel won't stick either but it stains with contact to the drying glue, aluminium works without staining.

You can also get touch up pens and wax sticks to try to colour match the repair, wax can fill gaps and can be rubbed on or melted in which could be better for gap filling.

Glamourresin
Finding My Feet

To repair ur top use feast and watsons glass top epoxy to glass ur whole surface after you gentle remove the detached section of timber and putty filled it, match a stain to ur timber and blend the whole top them simply follow the booklet that comes in a feast n watson glass top n itll better then new. Exhibit aExhibit a

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects