Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replacing water pipes from main supply

kaacu123
Getting Established

Replacing water pipes from main supply

Found a leak at the rusted water pipe, like a pin hole size.

20220425_171448.jpg

I've done digging today and found it's a curved pipe.

20220427_114616.jpg

Is it available at Bunnings? Do I have a assemble a few pieces and what connectors are needed? 

Vis-á-vis
Having an Impact

Re: Replacing water pipes from main supply

You’ll need a plumber. Regardless of how easy or difficult this type of work is, most states have laws that govern the replacement of water and sewer plumbing. 
You've done most of the hard work so hopefully you can find a local licensed plumber for a reasonable price. 
unless there is a good reason why your tap is so far away from the mains supply then consider moving it closer and adding some support (treated timber) to keep it upright. 👍

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kaacu123. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about replacing water pipes.

It's great to see that @Vis-á-vis has jumped into the discussion to assist. They are correct that mains plumbing repairs require a licensed plumber. You might like to have them install a tap post which will be a more robust solution than just the pipe. Or, as @Vis-á-vis mentioned, concrete in a timber post for the tap to be attached to.

There's no curved pipe that you can purchase. I'd suggest the curved section is a copper pipe bent by the installer.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JDE
Becoming a Leader

Your tap and above fittings are gal pipe. Just make sure when getting it fixed that the plumber doesn't mix metals ie have copper and gal iron in direct contact with each other. This will cause a galvanic cell and accelerate corrosion of your new pipe at the junction. If the bottom curved pipe is copper this could be to blame for your pin hole. Personally these days Id use poly pipe. James

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @kaacu123,

Just a couple of questions:

> This is obviously un-finished ground, but why is the main valve on the inside of your fence?, is there another
valve/ meter on the outside of the fence?

> It looks like out of the valve, it goes into 19mm Hepworth (LDPE) and connects to the main to your house, the Galv riser has a tee in 3/4", is this a temporary for the builders?

> Personally I would rip all of that out to the house and run it in new Galv pipe and lag it with Denso tape, if it is underground, especially if your soil is acidic.

If you require further advice, by all means, let us know.

Cheers,

Mike T

kaacu123
Getting Established

Thanks @JDE . I've hired a plumber fixing the leak. Apparently he's replaced the tee and the standing pipe. Hope it's a proper one that doesn't cause any corrosion in the future. 

kaacu123
Getting Established

Thanks @MikeTNZ , not sure why you said it's unfinished ground? What you said worry me a bit as it's been like this before I moved in few years ago. It's the only valve / meter inside the fence, and it's not temporary.

I agree with you I should properly just redo the entire setting using gal or poly like other user previously said. It would be pricy I could image, and too late a plumber has already replaced the tee and stand pipe. Let's hope it'll last for another 10 years.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @kaacu123,

Sorry, don't take it personally, I was looking at the photo and in that snap-shot it looked like a construction site.

However, not many construction sites have a finished fence on them.

Great to see you had a plumber look at it.

kaacu123
Getting Established

lol @MikeTNZ I got what you mean now. It was a garden bed full of weed so we decided to do a clean up. So yeah I further digged it because of old leaking pipe. Thought it's an easy fix but ended up I don't know what to do and hired a plumber.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Kaacu.

Do you know how old your property is?

Mine was built in 1947 and lately we've noticed small pinhole leaks in our underground gal pipes. Various plumbers have told us we need to replace it all (one day) but so far they've been easy fixes for the plumbers with stainless steel clamps that are lined with rubber. One plumber told be that gal pipes tend to rust and pit on top of the pipe so it's good idea to avoid water accumulation in the soil above the pipes (not all that easy).

Good luck for the future! :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects