Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Steel door frame.

glen71
Finding My Feet

Steel door frame.

Just wondering if I can replace an external steer door frame with timber on a brick house. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Steel door frame.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @glen71. It's fantastic that you've joined us and many thanks for your question.

It is possible to replace steel door frames with timber on a brick house. First, you'll need to remove the door by unscrewing it from the hinges. Remove the screws from the frame with a power drill and appropriate bit. To remove the jambs, a pry bar will come in handy. If the door frame is welded, you might need to cut out sections to release it. Next, you'll need to purchase a suitable timber jamb and mouldings to cover any gaps. Fix the new timber jamb to the brickwork with Liquid Nails and suitable masonry plugs. Re-install your hinges, door and locking mechanism.

If you wanted to replace the steel jambs because of their aesthetics, you might like to read through this previous discussion: Ugly steel door frames... How to change? by @amclaughlin09. Within it, we discuss the possibility of simply cladding over the steel door frame with timber mouldings.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell. 
changing from steel to timber won’t effect anything structural. 
thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I haven't personally heard of steel door jambs be used as a structural element in a brick home @glen71. A lintel above would generally be used to support the bricks. However, if you are concerned about this, I would always advise you to employ the services of a qualified engineer.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects