Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Suggestions wanted for first D.I.Y. project

prue_b2021
Just Starting Out

Suggestions wanted for first D.I.Y. project

hi all, 

I am new here as well as new to DIY projects however I fell in love with styling/ furniture/ design many years ago. I haven’t had the best luck in life however I haven’t made positive steps such as this either! I’ve decided it can’t be that hard and if it is and/ or I suck at it, at least I’ve given it a go! 

I’m looking for suggestions for a project that

a) something I can start and finish in a cpl of weekends 

b) is fairly inexpensive ($100 or so)

c) has step by step instructions as I have not done anything like this before including using power tools or any tool for that matter 

d) is not hard on the body as I have a few health concerns which stop me from heavy  lifting / twisting/ bending repeatedly or awkward motions 

I love country farmhouse/ rustic/ industrial and was thinking about trying something involving pallets 🤔

any thoughts or suggestions are welcome 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Suggestions wanted for first D.I.Y. project

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @prue_b2021. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about starting your first D.I.Y. project.

You made a fantastic decision to join us, as this community is full of wonderfully generous and friendly members willing to share their knowledge and encouragement. I'd also like to congratulate you on taking this first step; I trust that you'll be whipping up projects left and right in no time.

I'd encourage you to look through our How To section, as there are quite a few pallet projects with step-by-step instructions. I'm sure you'll find them easy to follow, and we're here to assist if you get stuck. There are also many projects on the Bunnings Website in our D.I.Y. Advice section.

Once you've selected a project, you can ask any questions you might have about it here. We can then walk you through the project as you build it. Was there something made from pallets that had already caught your eye?

I believe it's great that you already identified that the project shouldn't take more than two weeks. One of my biggest tips for D.I.Y., especially when first starting, is that you want to choose easily achievable projects. There's nothing worse than getting stuck and giving up. Every time you complete a project, you'll get more confident and can progress to larger items and more complex projects. It's best to start small, though.

I'm really keen to hear more about what you might like to build and will be with you every step of the way on the project. Please have a look through the articles I've linked to above and let us know if there is something there you might like to tackle.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
cmbmcn
Getting Established

Simplest question?

How do I bookmark a page to come back to it? I don't have any saved bookmarks because I cant see how to.

Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @cmbmcn. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a bookmark on Workshop.

At the bottom right of a post, you'll see a little bookmark icon next to the thumbs-up and reply buttons. Just click that, and the discussion will be added to your bookmarks. Bookmarked discussions can be found on your member profile page - just click on your username.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects