Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

The Block 2017

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

The Block 2017

Anyone interested in the new series of The Block? It starts Sunday. For those that have missed the publicity, this time they are renovating period homes, which should be easier for most people to relate to than high rise apartments. The couples have apparently been encouraged to keep the heritage facades and period details while modernising. I like seeing what they do with the places, but find that the show over-eggs the "drama" and conflict. 

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Re: The Block 2017

These shows always miss the point. They focus too much on people fighting and carrying on and not enough on the house and gardens.  

The show is a metaphor for life, it represents current social changes, drama, conflict that the younger generation experience
when trying to get ahead.
I would say it's probably more aggressive on real building sites than on the stage show, nevertheless accurate.

When we did our first reno with a builder, we knew that we wanted someone who could communicate really well as there was bound to be problems and challenges along the way. We did a lot of research about him and were reassured by a friend who had used him and recommended him. But towards the end of the project when other trades started to criticise his work we got concerned and conflict ensued. I can certainly relate to the fact that building sites can be full of drama! It just added to the tension that we were also trying to live in the home at the time! 

I'll be watching from time to time. Perhaps we need a resident Blockaholic on Workshop to provide regular updates and keep us in the loop. :bigsmile:

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@Jason LOL, Perhaps we need real projects here! :wink:
Helen
Having an Impact

I agree, the drama & conflict is very off putting for me!

Watch it on mute and narrate it yourself :cheeky:
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Like that idea, fine for me but my son is blind !

I tend to watch it once they've gotten past all the introductions to the characters and get stuck into the actual reno. Always a great show for inspiration. My family and I always make sure to tune in for the reveal nights.
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

What did everyone think of the bathrooms?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects