Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tiling around fire place

DionSouthwell
Getting Established

Tiling around fire place

Hi, I have small tiling job coming up and need a little advice on adhesives. Please see the picture with tiles laid out on cement floor. Without adhesive the tiles sit 5mm below timber floor as per pics. Can I a lay adhesive to 5mm thick to bring the tiles level with the timber floor ? If so can you suggest the best adhesive and process to utilise including trowell size.

Thanks in advance

Dion

20201006_101201.jpg

received_1196989277342915.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tiling around fire place

Hi @DionSouthwell,

I've had a chat to one of our tile glue suppliers and they have recommended Davco 5kg SMP Evo Tile Adhesive for your project. This tile adhesive can be laid up to 10mm thick and is suitable for fibre cement sheeting, so it will be perfect for this application. I would recommend using an 8mm notched trowel as this will allow you to bed the tiles into the glue so that their final height is flush with the timber floor. If you were to use a 5mm trowel then once the tiles have been bedded they'll likely not finish flush with the floor.

You should find this step-by-step tutorial helpful: How to lay mosaic tiles.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects