Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tips for building a double storey home

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Tips for building a double storey home

ProjectPetePlans.png

I'm in the very early stages of drawing up plans for a double storey home I'm going to build. I've built single storey before but not double.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any tips they can share?

I'm sure there are those little things you probably wouldn't even think of unless you've lived in a double storey before.

Basic layout is 4 bed (all upstairs - master at rear with balcony), 2 bath, upstairs retreat, powder room, study, theatre, living, dining, kitchen.

It's to be quite open-plan. All on a 15x30m block.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Re: Tips for building a double storey home

@ProjectPete
I suggest you have the Design,Engineering & Construction completely designed/Simulated in 3D BIM
Not everyone's experience will be your personalized experience for obvious reasons
Advantages in using Building Information Modelling(BIM) include
1. You can see what you get using apps, ie using mobile devices
2. In 1. above it is great for compliance checks and site/build inspections
3. You can extract useful data used in determining materials, quantities, processes,compliance checks, logistics, etc
4. You can even run Fireplace simulations that related to real world physical effects ie ENERGY-> CFD Thermal Heat Flow through you house
5. 6. 7. 8. etc
Most important to engineers are data, proofs & Optimisation.
IMO for clients,  it's very Satisfying to know that they have the best Design Solutions before they start to build

DIY Natural airflow Simulations
Goodluck

Thanks for your quick and helpful response @BIM_Engineer - I'll take a look at that software.

Interestingly (and one of the most appealing parts of the estate I'm building in) is its leading focus on eco-friendly requirements. Rosehill Waters is one of the only developments to be awarded all 'Six Leaves' of the UDIA's EnviroDevelopment Tool.

It also means I'm limited to choosing from 6 cerified builders for the estate as they've done specific designs to meet the strict criteria and have all be certified. This doesn't mean I can't build a completely custom design, but it does mean there are several extra costs associated.

So first step is to get a custom design priced up then depending what that comes back as will either push ahead with that or will work from one of their designs and customise to suit our needs. 

----------
Handy and helpful

@ProjectPeteBIM is approx. 75% Process & 25% Software
It's more a case of what info you can get and how to use it properly
Most builders use BIM to generate 3D Rendered Images and walkthroughs only.
But they don't share information that lowers project costs & their profit
so they aren't likely to tell you... do it this way and you will save
The best advice I can give is get your own design and get 3 builders to quote and tell them to sharpen their pencil when quoting....BIM will facilitate that process
Also rather than build to a set criteria BIM also helps you to evaluate your design and build to a higher standard than the set min.. Always ask for data, info & proofs. If you put your own sketchup I'll take a quick look or pm me
Please Avoid breaching copyright and intellectual patent/rights

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Wow, that's going to be a big undertaking @ProjectPete. What a fantastic project. I'm sure with your skills you are more than capable of building a wonderful home. All the community here on Workshop will follow your progress with great interest. Hopefully you'll get plenty of advice along the way, too!

Have you got any sketches at this stage that you can share?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Exciting. Keen to see what you have planned @ProjectPete. Good luck with it. 

@ProjectPete

Hubby built our daughters double storey home made of limestone blocks and he was adamant that he would during the foundation stage, place 10mm threaded bars into the concrete at spaced locations and on the windy side of the home to prevent loosing the roof in the future if a strong wind or mini tornado ever hit.
We don't normally have such winds in Vic but two of our friends lost their entire roof in a freak wind storm even though possible poor construction was never blamed or proved to be the reason for the event.
We have already personally experienced such a wind whilst the garage was being built for our daughter, as one of these freak strong winds hit and an uncomplete wall failed with some blocks being dislodged but the roof stayed intact!!
The house of course remained intact too!!
These threaded bars go through both the bottom and top plate by way of either threading them together or welding if the area is accessible and then locked into place inside the wall cavity on the top of the top plate with a steel plate over the timber top plate and a locking nut.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

How is your project going @ProjectPete

I found this article today interesting in regards to "anchoring" a two-storey home.  https://www.domain.com.au/advice/the-unique-challenges-of-renovating-a-twostorey-home-20180131-h0mqc...

"The easiest way to visually anchor a two-storey house is to do some solid planting around the base. Dark coloured plants, with chunky leaves, planted densely is a good start. Avoid anything too light and delicate like roses or any sparse plants."

One to think about down the track!

Thyansk for the share @Isobel. Finalising contracts at the moment. Made several variations and upgrades along the way. Also had challenges in having things removed to allow me to do my own work, eg. splashback, wall and feature tiling.

Sooooooooooo long story short, our slab will be down in the coming days/weeks and I'll share more about the build as we go.

----------
Handy and helpful

@ProjectPete
Here are my Top Tips
Thoroughly Check your site report, Soil Classifications, Engineering Drawings, Details, Specification. Compliance classifications before the building starts, during the build and with items you may be doing post handover.
Have a fair idea of costs and please avoid problem Repairs,  rectification work can cost 5-10 times the intial item build cost
You might want to leave a PM we are developing an app you might be interested in trialing?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects