Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tools for removing tile glue?

Wex
Getting Established

Tools for removing tile glue?

IMG_20201106_123231.jpg

Hi, Could anyone share your expreience about what is the best way(tools) to Remove the Glue? Taa

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Tools for removing tile glue?

@Wex

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're so pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden. We're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our amazing community members.

I'm sure the ever-helpful @MitchellMc will be more than happy to assist you with this project when he is back on the site on Friday, but in the meantime please let me tag some other wonderful community members who are experienced renovators and might like to share their thoughts with you: @ProjectPete@Brad@JDE@Mathy@PJA 

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site, or ever have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Floor scraper is the back friendly way as it is long handled.

If you have an SDS+ drill you can get a tiling chisel which is less physical effort but lower to the ground so not so back friendly.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Wex,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's great to have you join us. It's fantastic to see you've already received some helpful advice from the very knowledgeable @Brad.

What do you plan on laying as the flooring in this area? As @Brad mentioned removing glue can be rather labour intensive. Since it is such a large area I would be inclined to look at whether a floor levelling product would be suitable. As long as the existing cement-based glue is sound then a leveller can be poured over the top of it.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the use of these products.

Mitchell

Wex
Getting Established

Thanks for replying. I will try jackhammer&trolley with wider blade. 

Wex
Getting Established

Will retiling the floor. Prefer to remove the glue first. 

VG22
Just Starting Out

Hi Wex, it looks like some screed has been applied on top of adhesive, any reason for it?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @VG22. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

It's a bit hard to tell from the image whether it's screed applied over the tile glue or sections where the tile glue delaminated from the slab and pulled up with the tile. Let me mention @Wex to see if they can answer your question.

We look forward to hearing about your projects around the house and garden. Please feel free to reach out anytime you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects