Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Very simple jewellery box - yet another offcuts project

EdwardW
Having an Impact

Very simple jewellery box - yet another offcuts project

Hi guys, 

Sharing with you another small project I've built when I had too much small offcuts laying around... We all know this situation, when we have these thin strips of plywood left, and the only place they go is the fireplace.... But a little glue, and then decent sanding and finish will end up in this box lid! 

Sides - pacific maple. Body - laminated (fancy word for glued 😉) 50x19mm thick recycled pallet wood planks. Decorative barrel hinges and lid made of few strips of 19x19 mm mixed ply strips, laminated... The cavities for both body and lid routed with a straight mortising bit. Sides joinery - mortice and tenon. Eventually, the inside flocked with burgundy flocking powder. 

1598950576603.jpg

1598950825021.jpg

1598950732505.jpg

1598950643903.jpg

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Very simple jewellery box - yet another offcuts project

This is beautiful @EdwardW! There's a lot of skill on display here. Were the hinges tricky to get right? What advice would you have someone using barrel hinges for the first time. What should they consider? I'm sure you've inspired a few of our community members to have a think about how they can use their offcuts to create something special.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
EdwardW
Having an Impact

@JaneK

Yes, to be honest, fitting 6mm barrel hinges was a lot of very careful work. I'd say the toughest part is to drill to the right depth. So besides suggesting to get a drill press (which I ended up doing) I say use a calliper to measure the length of the hinge, carefully mark the depth on the drill and start half way through, and slowly get to the depth needed.

Another piece of advice (again, learned the hard way 😉), the drilling goes before chamfering, and not the other way around... I made this mistake, but luckily was successful to still drill straight... Best drill first, chamfer later.

Third one - finish before glueing the hinges in. That way you can use spray if you want... Flocking area - cover with painters tape. If polyurethane gets there, using flocking glue will be a bit of an issue, and it's very uncomfortable to sand in there. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Lovely work @EdwardW. Patience is not one of my virtues, and I would struggle with that lid.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc thanks!

And if you thought THIS needs patience, wait for the next one :smile: :smile: :smile: 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects