Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What age did you get into DIY? And what was your first project?

Peggers
Becoming a Leader

What age did you get into DIY? And what was your first project?

It's funny, I didn't really get into DIY until I was in my late 40s - even though my Dad was brilliant at making anything and everything, and maintaining the garden.

He had a garage - that he built himself - in which every inch was covered with tools or things 'that might come in handy later'. He had jam jars full of screws and washers. He could mend a gearbox, lay a concrete floor and plant veggies. He loved pottering out in his garage to all hours.

I think when I was younger I just wanted to get out and have fun. Then I got a job. Then I had kids. And so it wasn't until my kids were grown up and had full social lives (and I suddenly had a lot of time on my hands) that I explored the idea of DIY.

I'd started collecting books and quirky ornaments from Op Shops. Then I got interested in Pinterest and liked the idea of the whole pallet furniture thing - but didn't think I had the skills to get involved. 

And then four years ago during the Xmas break I made these shelves from scratch, inspired by a picture I'd seen online. My first proper project. Since then I've progressed to renovating caravans and absolutely love pottering in the warehouse, like my dad did.

So what's your story? How old were you when you started your DIY interest? And what was your first homemade cab off the project rank?

IMG_2260.jpg

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What age did you get into DIY? (And what was your first DIY Project?)

I think I was 4 and a made a model boat from scraps around the place, flat bottom because I had no idea anything was below the water line.

Peggers
Becoming a Leader

@Brad I think 4 will be hard to beat as an early starter! 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

My Grandfather was a little pushy in that area. Maybe made worse by being the youngest.

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

My dad can make, do and fix anything really. He's a fitter turner by trade, has better carpentry and metal work skills than most carpenters I've seen and has tickets/licenses for just about everything else. He has a 10x10m workshop at his place which is more secure than the house and is packed to the rafters with tools and materials. So naturally he does everything for himself and others when it comes to cars, houses and more. This gave me a huge opportunity as a kid to learn and while I have learned a lot from my dad since I was a kid, looking back, I wasted a lot of time/opportunity to learn even more. Kids will be kids though, right...

So I used to potter around with him making things or just handing him tools. I don't remember the very first projects but some of the memorable ones include floor tiling a whole house, brick paving a large patio area and building a fishpond.

Once I bought my first home I started building up my tool collection and doing odd jobs on my own including laminate flooring, small retaining walls, digging/installing soakwells. This laundry reno was probably my first DIY project worth sharing which involved a range of skills and really added value to my home. One DIY project that meant a lot to me was building my kid's first cubby house - it's nothing like the double storey one my dad built me with a slide, flying fox, fireman's pole, balcony area for a small inflatable pool, etc but it's enough for the space we had 😊

And from there I haven't stopped - laminate/engineered/hybrid flooring, tiled splashbacks, kitchen/bathroom renos, fake grass, concrete pool, decking, wall panelling and so much more. I even just finished a poolside cabana which i'll be sharing with this great community soon. I really enjoy the challenge and satisfaction/ride that comes from DIY, especially as I pass my knowledge and skills and to my kids.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

@ProjectPete What a brilliant post - thanks so much for taking the time to write that.

Sounds so much like my Dad. I come from a naval working class city in England called Portsmouth. My Dad did an apprenticeship in the dockyard there, and then did night school to become qualified as an electrical and mechanical engineer. His passion was boats and he built a couple over the years from basic fibreglass shells. He also loved engines and made a pit in his garage. He also had a small steam engine he'd built himself that we used to put meths into and get going.

But he could do carpentry and building work.

And like you, my job was handing tools to him. And like you I wasted a lot of time and opportunities to learn more. But hey, I seem to be becoming my father in lots of ways a I get older - and these days I'm actually quite proud of that rather than dreading it!!

Absolutely @Peggers ! I now appreciate more than ever just how clever he is and how lucky I am to have learned from him. I take on pretty much any job these days, without experience but full of confidence and I haven't let myself down yet 😊

Quite timely actually, just yesterday one of my daughters (7 years old) made me feel very proud when she took on the challenge (with her mum) to assemble the new cot for our inbound baby because she "wants to be able to tell baby brother that she built it for him". I could've done it, quicker and easier, but she persevered for the sense of satisfaction she knows I get so often.

----------
Handy and helpful

Just posted the latest on my cabana https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Outdoor/Poolside-timber-cabana-build/td-p/51776

----------
Handy and helpful

@ProjectPete Great job on the cabana - looks amazing!! And how good that you're young daughter is following your lead - proud moment! 

I've tried finding a pic of my Dad in his garage, but don't think I have one on my phone or laptop. I'll try and dig one out. I did find this pic though, which grabbed my attention as a recent addition to the garage last time I was home - it's a Hand Dryer that he installed to help clean up after jobs. Just gives an indication of the level he's got his shed up to! :smile:

IMG_1021.JPG

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

Re: What age did you get into DIY? And what was your first project?

@Peggers  I love hearing everyone’s DIY stories. The best part about DIY is that you are never to young or old to start. No one is to inexperienced to give it a go and you can tailor your projects so they are affordable. 
As I’ve stated before I am a very late diy bloomer. Growing up my Dad was in the Navy and was very handy around home but didn’t do DIY. My previous partner was very unsupportive and wouldn’t even let me use the drill. So my first project was late 2016 when I was 31. My project was a hallway table made out of cedar fence palings . I used a handsaw, hammer and nails. I waited till my partner was away on a work trip as I was so nervous and had no confidence I could even do it. Figured if it was a big fail I’d be able to hide the evidence and forget it ever happened - thankfully it was a success in that it worked, looked good and my partner liked it. Obviously wasn’t the best or cleanest finish but it was enough to start me on this wonderful journey!! 

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: What age did you get into DIY? And what was your first project?

I'd love to hear about how @DIYgals got started given how prolific they've been recently.

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects