Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Where do I start with home renovation project?

Nicko14022
Getting Established

Where do I start with home renovation project?

Hi everyone, 

I have to say I absolutely love the community involvement Bunnings has here, my debacle here is I am unsure on where to start on renovating the house I will be occupying. For Example; Do I start with the floors or walls first? Interior or exterior? Fence line or Gardening Shed? 

There is a whole heap of questions I have to ask right down to the type and style of paints which I'm sure the friendly team at Bunnings will be able to help me with but as I am stepping into this I'd like to be as prepared as possible before starting. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Where do I start with home renovation project?

Hello @Nicko14022

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thank you for sharing your question about renovation projects.

Where to start? A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. You've already taken that first step by outlining parts of the house that immediately grabbed your attention. The floors, walls, interior, exterior, fence line and gardening. I suggest grabbing pen and paper and start listing down the items that you think need attention. 

Do the walls need a new coat of paint? Should the timber floor be given a refresh? Can I build a firepit for my outdoor entertaining area? These are just some of the projects that you can study up on and attempt in your house. It does not even have to be big or wide-ranging. Can I build a plant stand for my plants? 

Almost every activity you choose to attempt in your house falls under D.I.Y. By sharing your project with the community, you not only share your knowledge but the journey as well.

Here are some handy links to get you started:

Here are some projects that could get you started:

Let me tag our experienced members @prettyliving, @craftyhopper, @ProjectPete, @DanaR and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

I encourage you to explore the Workshop site and see all the amazing projects that our members have created. If you find one that you would like to attempt just press that "Start a Discussion" button at the top and we'll be more than happy to provide you with assistance and information to complete your project.

We look forward to seeing your first D.I.Y. project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hey @Nicko14022,

Welcome along to Bunnings Workshop!

I think you need to prioritise a project or two, what screams out at you as to what needs doing first?

You need to sit down with a coffee and look around the place and write down what needs to happen first.

Is this going to involve building/structural alterations?

Do I need council approval for this?, if so, have I got my ducks in a row over this?

Is this going to involve plumbing/sanitation alterations?

Is this going to involve electrical/switchboard alterations?

If/ when will I require tradies to do this?

This is only a precis' thing, but I'd be willing to help you out, if need be.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Nicko14022,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're really looking forward to seeing how you can transform your home.

My tip would be to first carefully consider what are your goals for your project. For example, do you simply want to modernise the appearance of your home, or are there significant shortcomings you need to address, such as the need to add extra rooms? It's also really important to consider whether you can do a cosmetic makeover of rooms like your kitchen and bathroom, or whether you need to pull out the sledgehammer and build something new.

In terms of interior or exterior, generally I would tackle the interior first if the works are going to be significant. That's because things like trades coming and going  and materials stacked up everywhere often will damage your front and/or backyard during the renovation work. 

Looking forward to seeing other tips from members. Let me also add @2Belindas and @redbournreno to see if they can share their wisdom.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Spot on @MikeTNZ 

@Nicko14022 you need to identify what are you must haves in this renovation.  WHY are you doing it?  What do you NEED the spaces to provide you?

From there I would line up your available budget with the level of complexity.  Anything requiring approvals or a larger chunk of your budget should be tackled first.

2Belindas
Making a Splash

Welcome @Nicko14022 

Definitely work out how much you are prepared to spend and list by priority, the things that need doing first.
Write everything down, including your estimated costs, time frame and order of works, then order any fixtures or fittings asap.

Constantly check on your spend along the way.  
As it's your own home, I am assuming you are not on a tight time frame, so you will have the opportunity to shop for bargains.
Keep your eye's open for Bunnings specials when they're advertised, you'll save money by being proactive this way. 

Mostly, I hope you'll enjoy the process and catch the renovation bug!

Creating a beautiful home on a budget
Nicko14022
Getting Established

Good Afternoon all,

Thank you so much for replying so promptly with suggestions, ideas and thoughts I haven't thought of.

I think when I start the renovations I will also be starting scrapbooking as well because what started as a few things here and there has just boomed into a vision board on my wall now :laugh: 

Thank you to all and I will be sure to keep everyone updated on the progress :smile: 

Enjoy the rest of your week everyone!  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects