Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why will my stick on hooks from bunnings not stay stuck?

Wouldy
Making a Splash

Why will my stick on hooks from bunnings not stay stuck?

I have never had an issue with these hooks before. They have always worked well. Twice now and with different sized hooks, they have just fallen off. I am using the right hooks for the weight of the things I am hanging. I let them sit for 24 hours before hanging anything. The walls are new and clean. I have not cleaned them recently so there should be no residue of anything that keeps them from sticking. It cannot be a temperature problem because it is not overly hot nor overly cold. I am not sure what is causing this issue? 

Wouldy

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Why will my stick on hooks from bunnings not stay stuck?

Hi @Wouldy,

I'm sure we can help. Can you just please provide much more specific information on the stick-on hooks you are using and the surface you are using them on so our helpful community members can provide assistance?

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

HI @Wouldy

I'm sorry to hear the stick-on hooks are not working for you. Were you using the command 3m hooks or the Permastik ones? Please note that even if the wall does not seem dirty and is totally clean to visual inspection it is still necessary to use Diggers 125ml Isopropyl Cleaning Alcohol to remove all manner of contaminants on the wall. I recommend giving the area a spray with isopropyl and a wipe down with a paper towel and giving it another go.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

IMG20210930183010.jpg

IMG20210930183002.jpg

@Jason 

Sure. Standard drywall plaster. 

@EricL 

Thanks. Is turps OK too? Never had to do it before but will give it a go. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

HI @Wouldy

Using turps should work as well. Make sure to wipe it down with a paper towel until it is totally dry. Have you always used this brand? The only other thing that's causing it to fall off is that the adhesive has gone off. Please give it a go and tell us if it stays up. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric  

@EricL 

No, I have not always used this brand. I will give the turps a go. What do you mean the adhesive has gone off Eric? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Wouldy

There is the possibility that the hooks you got from the store are from an old batch. But it is difficult to tell as there are no date stamps on these kinds of products. If it continues to behave undesirably, please let me know.

Eric

@EricL 

Oh ok. Yeah that might be a possibility. I will let you know. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects