Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Your best painting tips

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Your best painting tips

Painting can be a fantastic low-cost way to freshen up a room and add value to a property. For a small investment, the right paint job can make a big impact. 

Painting is also something that anyone can do. But I'm sure the Workshop community has plenty of great tips for getting the best result possible.

Please share your painting tips in the discussion below.

Jason 

PaintCan.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Share your best painting tips

One of my favourites is to wrap paintbrushes in cling wrap between coats to stop them drying out rather than washing your brushes in water.

RenoQueen
Making a Splash

Just tap the brush gently against the side of the paint can. I see a lot of people wiping the brush against the lip which takes all the paint off. And when you dip the brush into the paint just cover half of the bristles.

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Don't go cheap on paint and equipment like rollers. A great quality roller makes a world of difference with the final finish and makes your paint go a bit further too.

Don't tape door frames. Even with expensive tapes I've found the paint peel right off. Instead I corner up to the frame and simply wipe any paint overflow on the frame off with a baby wipe.

+1 to @Kermit tip above re wrapping brushes in cling wrap - works a treat.

When painting entire walls, roll from top to bottom in full length rather than doing top half of wall then coming back to do bottom half. Avoids the darker/thicker paint through the middle of the wall.

Hope those few tips from an amateur help
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Preparation, prepartion, preparation.

There's some good tips here:

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

I also liked these:

KingStreetReno
Making a Splash

Use a spray gun for outdoor projects like fences. I recently bought the Dulux Rapid Spray Paint Sprayer for $99.

It will save you HOURS of time and lots of paint :smile:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I really like that rubber band tip. I am going to try that. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Joker
Having an Impact

Make sure you sand your walls before you paint. It will help ensure a nice smooth surface, getting rid of all the bumps and flaky paint from previous paint jobs. Use a pole sander to save time instead of a sanding block. 

_Marley_
Building a Reputation

I always use a black garbage bag to wrap the paint roller tray, tape it up so it fits well. Then when you are finished you can just throw the plastic bag away and don't have to spend hours cleaning the paint tray.  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects