Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

porcelan tile underlay

barossavineyard
Just Starting Out

porcelan tile underlay

Hi

we'd like to lay porcelain tiles over particle board (Structaflor), and we know that we need to install tile underlay first.

We can only find "ceramic tile underlay" (6mm), e.g. that one at Bunnings.

Is this the underlay to use for porcelain tiles too, or is there a different tile underlay, specifically for porcelain tiles?

Thanks

Nelly

Nelly

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: porcelan tile underlay

Hi Nelly (@barossavineyard)

Welcome to Workshop. We're rapt to have you join us. We have clever and creative members sharing helpful advice and inspiring projects every day, so you've certainly come to the right place. Let me tag @gippslandhome as I'm sure Rob would be more than happy to share some of his tiling experience.  

What are you currently renovating? It would be great to see what you are working on.

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. And please let me know if you ever need assistance getting the most from the site.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @Jason for tagging me into this conversation. And happy to help @barossavineyard 

You are right, you do need underlay and the tile underlay is great.

Make sure of a couple of things.

1-Always use screws, not nails or clouts..

2-Use liquid nails under the sheets for a better grip. A few good dobs is fine.

And 3- Don't but your underlay up to any other surface. Leave a good amount of expansion of approximately 5-7mm.

Also if you are using rectified tiles, the porcelain tile levelling systems are fantastic.

All the best with your project and feel free to shoot through any more questions along the way.

Kind regards Rob 👍😁

Thanks for replying Rob, the information is most useful!

Just to clarify: this "ceramic tile underlay" is ok to use for porcelain tiles?

thanks

Nelly

Hi @barossavineyard 

Nelly thanks for the question. I have been using tile underlay for many years successfully and also with porcelain tiles.

If you require a specific answer to a particular brand, in this case James Hardie Tile Underlay then I would suggest contacting the manufacturer directly or through the distributor you are looking at purchasing your underlay through.

If you still are having any issues speak to your local Bunnings supplier.

But yes we have used tile underlay successfully for a long time without issue.

Thank you Nelly

Kind regards Rob 👍😁

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects