Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bathroom renovation in old home with no toilet

Justlucky2k2
Cultivating a Following

Bathroom renovation in old home with no toilet

This is my first post. I live in an old home which has no toilet inside the house. Inside bathroom has bathtub which i never use and shower screen is bit narrow for taking a confirtable shower. I want to get rid of tub and install a toilet and increase the space of shower. I have attached the current layout of the bathroom. What design layout would be better with minimal investment.

Someone suggest me to use open shower with fixed wall glass and install toilet near the window. Bathroom is 1600mm in width and 2300mm in length.  The opening of the door is also in wrong direction but that is an easy fix.

IMG_5885.JPGIMG_5886.JPGIMG_5887.JPG

Toilet-Plan.jpg

Re: Suggestion for a bathroom renovation

If the area is suitable then yes having the actual wet area lower would be a much more streamlined look. Plus it will be so much more pleasing to the eye! Goodluck on your renovation!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

KathF
Finding My Feet

Hi, Budding Reno Just Lucky,  looks like my old bathroom.  For what its worth see my suggested design.  Good luck with all your renovations and hope it all works well for you,

cheers,  KathFReDesign.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Wow @KathF, what a fantastic first post! I'm sure @Justlucky2k2  really appreciates your input. Thanks so much for sharing your experience. We are looking forward to reading more of your posts soon as it seems like you have a lot of value to offer other community members. We trust in return you'll get loads of helpful advice, information and inspiration for your projects. Our members are sharing amazing stuff every day.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you. 

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Justlucky2k2
Cultivating a Following

  

 Thanks guy, it was indeed helpful. I have started demotion work as you can see in recent uploaded pictures

I have take out the the and ripped the wall where the new plumbing will be.

I have some concerns, now that the tub is out there is a screen which is not at the same level as the other floor tiles. should i use auto leveler first and then apply membrane or I should apply membrane first and then use auto level screed. suggestions welcome.

I am thinking to use tile over tile as the existing tiles are very strong and stable. I will use tile over primer from bunnings. Regarding membrane over this. What is best way to apply. use primer first, then membrane? 

the tile i cut on the wall for installation of plumbing are approx 9mm including previous villaboard and the gyprock aquachek drywall is 10mm. will it make any different or i can cover this 1mm gap by applying extra adhesive while tiling? 

I tried sanding the tiles but i dont know if its worth the efforts as area is big and i dont see much plain surface on the tiles after sanding.

75BECF74-6513-413E-92DD-E776082DDCB8.jpeg

54AB3C83-0FBA-4E95-90AA-9B0BEDC5E169.jpeg

Hi @Justlucky2k2 - coincidentally I’m in the process of starting exactly the same idea - remove bath and put shower in that space.

Before you go any further, you may wish to consult a plumber. I discovered via my plumber that a shower needs a larger drain than what is generally provided for a bath. I was kind of annoyed, because I didn’t want to pull up the screed in the floor of my bathroom, I was just going to remove the tiles and redo them. However, it is what it is. We’re going to replace the bath drain with the correct size and connect via the “right sized” existing floor trap in the bathroom. When you speak with a plumber, they can inform you about how to get your shower floor at the correct height, and what order screed and membrane should go in.

Regarding tiling over tiles - I was also going to do this until I looked at the issues of dealing with door architraves and the ceiling cornice. Making the tiles thicker (existing tiles plus tile adhesive and new tile) means that you pretty much need to remove architraves and ceiling cornice. I decided that I might as well remove the old wall tiles hope this is helpful, cheers Deb :smile:

Sorry @Justlucky2k2 - just read your comment about the 1mm difference. It reads like your gyprock aquacheck is 1mm thicker than the previous arrangement. You should be able to manage this with tile adhesive by using a slightly smaller notch adhesive spreader. If it’s the reverse, then yes you can increase by 1mm when applying the tiles :smile:

Justlucky2k2
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Deb,

Fortunately I already planned to use bigger drain pipe than bath.Regarding the rescreeding your floor after making bigger space for drain channel. Will you use self leveling mix. Is there any recommendations that how long we need to wait for it to dry. or there are solutions available which we can tile after waiting few hours or a day? Another question how the waterproofing will be done, before the screeding is done or after that.  Thanks

Let me also tag @redracer01 and @ProjectPete who might like to share their renovation experience with you before you proceed @Justlucky2k2.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Using self levelling compounds should be ideal to make up for the 1 mm difference and make everything nice and flat. Just a reminder to put in your fall while tilling to the waste. Depending on current weather conditions and location of bathroom and amount of air and sunlight it gets most levelling compounds say 24 hours. Please read product recommendations at the back of the bag. Once it is totally dry then you can begin water proofing.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Justlucky2k2
Cultivating a Following

@redracer01  Thanks for all the help, I tried to find Bondo for window seal as you suggested , however I could not find it in bunning. Is there any other specific name for this one?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects