Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bathroom renovation in old home with no toilet

Justlucky2k2
Cultivating a Following

Bathroom renovation in old home with no toilet

This is my first post. I live in an old home which has no toilet inside the house. Inside bathroom has bathtub which i never use and shower screen is bit narrow for taking a confirtable shower. I want to get rid of tub and install a toilet and increase the space of shower. I have attached the current layout of the bathroom. What design layout would be better with minimal investment.

Someone suggest me to use open shower with fixed wall glass and install toilet near the window. Bathroom is 1600mm in width and 2300mm in length.  The opening of the door is also in wrong direction but that is an easy fix.

IMG_5885.JPGIMG_5886.JPGIMG_5887.JPG

Toilet-Plan.jpg

Re: Suggestion for a bathroom renovation

This the product I meant. Use it all over your window and make sure it goes in the timber pores and all the cracks and break.

Screenshot_20191015-172222_Chrome.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Justlucky2k2
Cultivating a Following

44733F22-CCB2-4B4E-8672-F1AF6C592F6D.jpeg

29816F30-55ED-4C0A-ACFB-621972861B58.jpeg

Hi All, Thanks for your help and suggestion. Finally I have finished the renovation. I did all the job myself except plumbing installation and electrical wire movement. Final pics attached

Wow, congratulations and very well done @Justlucky2k2. You must be thrilled with the final result. 

I'm sure all your hard work will also inspire many Workshop members and visitors. Thanks for sharing the final pictures. 

We are looking forward to seeing what you tackle next!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi just wondering what design tool you used for these pictures. Thanx.

Hi @netta1990

Many thanks for joining in the discussion. We're pleased to have you join the Bunnings Workshop community and look forward to reading all about your projects and plans. Are you planning a bathroom renovation?

The clever and creative @redracer01 uses the free Google Sketchup tool to create his fantastic designs.

Please let us know if you need a hand with anything. We're here to help.

Welcome,

Jason

Hi @Justlucky2k2 

Just WOW!  My bathroom reno is going to be very similar to yours, with the exception of the toilet, but we will be adding a longer vanity.  Our window is wider and takes up most of the back wall, but we will waterproof it (as soon as I learn how to do that lol) and our bathroom layout will nearly be identical.

Was it difficult to do the waterproofing?  I want to try and do as much of this reno as possible as I only have a tiny budget - but I'm frightened I will stuff it up and cause water damage in the future if I don't do it correctly.

Any tips would be useful.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JulesMcB,

You should find these guides useful: How to waterproof your bathroom floorHow to waterproof a showerHow to lay floor tiles and How to tile a bathroom wall.  

Please reach out if you need assistance, as our knowledgeable members are always willing to provide advice.

Mitchell

JulesMcB
Growing in Experience

Thanks so much @MitchellMc  - such a great forum!

Jules

Hi @Justlucky2k2 ,

This is great work! I am new to this forum and this thread is exactly what I am looking to do. 

I know this work was done a few years ago but, do you mind sharing what was involved in changing the drainage from bathtub to a toilet. My understanding is that a bigger drain is needed for the toilet and is it separate from shower?

I have thought of two ideas for the layout. I am looking for an input on which idea would be easier (and cost effective) to implement knowing that we will need to redo the shower, vanity and tiles for both options?

Really appreciate your input. 

ideas2.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @brathi 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your bathroom renovation.

It's great that you've found this discussion useful. The shorter amount of digging and concrete cutting would be a factor in the plumbing cost. This would be mitigated if the bathroom was elevated and on a timber floor. Your first idea has the shortest amount to be cut on the flooring, and the sewer pipe can be run outside. Cutting concrete and digging into the soil are one of the major costs in plumbing. 

Your first idea also has the advantage of the keeping the current plumbing in place. The best part is that the cold-water outlet for the bath can be extended and modified so that it becomes the outlet tap for the new toilet. Although your second idea is an excellent exercise in bathroom layouts, it will greatly increase the plumbing cost as the waste pipe for all three-bathroom appliances will need to be modified.

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of your bathroom? Can you also please include its measurements, I'll be more than happy to draw a render for you to give you a better idea of what your shower will look like.  

Let me call on our experienced members @redbournreno @craftyhopper and @lifestylebymari for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects