Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I connect a garden hose to a laundry tap?

Ben1
Getting Established

Can I connect a garden hose to a laundry tap?

hi, i’m kinda new here and need some DIY advice 😁 i live in a unit with a veranda that has no water tap. overtime it has been so dusty and a little grimey outside. i cleaned and vacuum it but it’s just not enough, i was wondering if i can connect a garden hose to my laundry tap where the washing machine is attached to (hot/cold)? i just want to clean my veranda with a pressure washer. i went to the store and told me i need an aerator for the tap before i can connect something on the tap. just need an advice 😁 is it possible to connect a garden hose to the laundrytap? if yes, what stuffs do i need?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: can i connect a garden hose to a laundry tap?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ben1. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Did you want to connect to the tap's spout or where the washing machine hoses are attached to the wall? Perhaps an image of the location would help our members in providing a solution. You might like to read through the recent discussion: Garden hose for my balcony by @ventodimare and benchtop dishwasher installation by @gilberttang. Do you have an aerator on your spout? If you did, then a Kinetic Adaptor Aerator Kit would connect directly to it. If you don't, then a Holman 15mm Plain Tap Adaptor With Clamp would work. 

We look forward to hearing more about your project and assisting in connecting your garden hose.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
woodenwookie
Making a Splash

If I'm reading you correctly then it would simply be a matter of removing the washing machine hose and screwing the hose fitting into that. They should be the same thread, so you shouldn't have to do anything to get them to fit.

Just be careful though because hoses are notorious for coming off and spraying water everywhere.

Ben1
Getting Established

@MitchellMc   i want to connect to where the washing

machine hose are connected. i was thinking of just detaching the washing machine hose temporarily and attach a water hose just to clean my veranda. 

i was confuse coz the guy from bunnings told me that it’s not possible to connect a water hose on the tap without an aerator..

Ben1
Getting Established

@woodenwookie thank you. yeah you read it right. was wondering what size of adapter i’m gonna use though. are water hose adapter same size with the washing machine tap? (12mm)

@Ben1,

As the team member mentioned that you needed an aerator, it suggests they believed you wanted to connect the hose onto the end of a sink tap spout. No aerator is required for connecting the hose to the wall where the washing machine attaches.

If you remove the washing machine hose from the wall, a standard Pope 12mm Universal Tap Adaptor should screw directly onto the exposed thread. This will allow a garden hose to click on. Remember to shut your mains water off before unscrewing your washing machine hose.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Did you manage to connect your hose @Ben1?

Please let me know if you are still having difficulties.

Mitchell

Ben1
Getting Established

@MitchellMc yes i did. thank you all for your help. was able to connect water hose and clean my veranda. 

some common problems that i encountered was water dripping out from the hose connection to tap, but probably i just needed a better water hose connector but other than that everything worked well 👍 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects