Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can we regrout our shower?

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

How can we regrout our shower?

6259BFC8-F674-4618-AC98-01C448FB5D3D.jpeg

Morning friends. There is moisture coming through the wall from our shower. We recently had two quotes to get it re grouted and they are very expensive. Would it be something my hubby and I could fix ourselves ? If not we will get it done. They checked the pipes in the wall with that special machine to see if they are leaking and they are not so that’s good. Apparently it’s the grout. We would appreciate your advice please 😊

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can we regrout our shower?

You've opened a massive can of worms now, @mich1972. Unfortunately for you, it's just the beginning, as the more skills you develop, the more items that you'll come across that can be fixed. Soon you'll be adjusting your roof's pitch as it has just never been quite right. 🔨 🏠 😂

Great work.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Well @MitchellMc I blame the Workshop for all the amazing projects, advice, step by steps and inspiration to give me the confidence to have a good go at fixing something, even if it is something small like using silicone or grouting 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

EF396578-2884-4DCC-9C5A-BADEAC65A185.jpeg

A09C55FF-D39D-4953-9739-8E45740D402D.jpeg

 Good morning Workshop Community Friends. The main bathroom is finished for now and back to normal. It’s nothing fancy and it’s not perfect but it’s had a good refresh and clean. 
Shower - grout fixed where it was needed. Silicone removed and replaced. The whole shower walls and floor Sealed. Fingers crossed it works. 
Bathroom Ceiling painted and the Zinsser worked a treat as the undercoat covering that massive water stain. Dulux wash and wear bathroom / kitchen as the top coat. 
Bathroom walls re painted way over due ( since 1994 🤣 previous owners ) again with Dulux - Lexicon Half. So happy with the Choice, feels like there’s even more light in the bathroom during the day !! 
Bathroom counter and bathtub - old silicone removed and replaced, along with another tile re grouted above the bathtub 😆 also all the movement / settlement cracks repaired throughout the walls above. It’s not a major renovation or anything but what a difference it makes. Keeping it simple so it is easy to keep clean and tidy. 😊

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mich1972 

Thank you for sharing those photos of your beautifully refreshed bathroom. Sometimes a full-on renovation is not necessary to bring the shine back into your bathroom. New grout lines and silicones seals does wonders, plus a new coat of paint will always give an area a fresh new look. Not only did you manage to refresh your bathroom, but you've gained new D.I.Y skills that will let you attempt bigger projects in the future.

Again, thank you for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

IMG_9196.jpeg

IMG_9193.jpeg

Thank you @EricL I have just finished painting the toilet 🤣🤣

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mich1972 

Thanks for that update, your toilet is looking nice and bright! It's good to see that you've been using drop sheets in your projects. This single act of preparation will save you so much effort in trying to clean your floor from paint splatter coming off your roller. Will you be painting the window frame as well? 

Eric

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks @EricL I learnt, PREPARE and COVER before painting !!!!!!!! 
Well I was wondering that. Now it’s painted, the window looks crappy 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️Eric I would like to paint the window frames in the bathroom and toilet I think you gave me advice for that, to spray paint it ? I must reread the post. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mich1972 

Go check and see if it has a timber frame, if it does, then painting it would be just like painting your wall. You'll need to take the same steps in preparation for painting. However, if it is aluminium, it will be necessary to spray paint it. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

IMG_9260.jpeg

@EricL  This is the timber window sill in the toilet. 

The window frame in toilet and bathroom is aluminium 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mich1972 

In regards to the timber windowsill, I suggest following the same procedure you used when painting your walls. I also suggest having a look at this discussion - How to paint 80s aluminium doors? by @KingStreetReno. You'll find plenty of suggestions on how to paint aluminium frames.

Here is a link to our best advice: What is the best way to paint aluminium windows?

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects