Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix water dripping from laundry tap?

thisischandar
Growing in Experience

How to fix water dripping from laundry tap?

Hi there,

I have a tap in the laundry area from which water is dripped every now and then and I would like to get it fixed. I did refer some YouTube videos, however those taps were of different types and I am not sure the same method would work for the tap we have. Please refer to the image attached.

It will be very helpful if someone could please share a thought or their experience - Thanks in advance.

Note - Water dripping is from the one that does not have a hose connected.

Laundry Tap.jpg

Regards,

Balachandar

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Water dripping from laundry tap

Hi Balachandar (@thisischandar),

It sounds like the jumper valve needs to be replaced. There will likely be a tiny grub screw hidden under the tap, which, when unscrewed with an allen key will allow the handle to be removed. From there, you should be able to unscrew the tap with a tap spanner. This will give you access to the jumper valve.

Obviously, before attempting any repairs, you'll need to turn off your mains water and clear the pipes.

Please let me know if you have further questions or get stuck.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Are these taps that turn off - with a quarter turn?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Good pick up, @Noyade. They're likely ceramic disc quarter or half-turn mini cistern cocks. If that's the case, it could be easiest to replace the tap. You can do this @thisischandar by unscrewing the whole tap assembly from the wall. Once again, make sure to turn the house's main water valve off first.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc 

"If that's the case, it could be easiest to replace the tap"

My only experience is my brother had similar taps and despite two 'intelligent adults' working on them we couldn't stop the drip. In the end he called a plumber who took one look, shook his head and said "get rid of them." So he did.

thisischandar
Growing in Experience

Hi @Noyade 

Yes that's correct. 

And Hi @thisischandar 

How did you get on? Replace or repair? Or unsuccessful with either endeavor?

thisischandar
Growing in Experience

Hi @Noyade 

It was very hard when I removed the the old tap considering the location of the tap and the stone bench above.

I need a teflon tape too, hence have asked a help from my friend who will be helping me this evening. 

I am planning to replace the tap. will keep you posted.

Regards,

Balachandar

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @thisischandar

It's great that you've received excellent suggestions from @MitchellMc and @Noyade. Just to add to the suggestions made, when putting on the Teflon tape remember to run the tape thin at the front and thick at the back. Just keep in mind that putting too much Teflon tape is counterproductive as well.

Please make sure to place a small plastic catch basin underneath the tap for at least 24 hours to make sure that the tap is correctly installed. If after that time there are no leaks, you can remove the small basin and reconnect your washing machine hose.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your washing machine taps fixed.

Eric

thisischandar
Growing in Experience

Hi @EricL 

I totally agree, I have got some great suggestions from @MitchellMc and @Noyade Thanks much for your valuable suggestions.

With my friends help we just replaced the tap this evening. Have not moved the washing machine yet just to observe. Will keep you all posted.

Hope there is no more dripping - Fingers crossed.

Regards,

Balachandar

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects