Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get wall flange to seal?

Aneil
Cultivating a Following

How to get wall flange to seal?

Help!

I've bought some new taps for our shower. The spindles were too short so I bought some ceramic disk spindle extenders. It doesn't leak but I'm stumped as how these flanges are supposed to fit. 

Any help is appreciated!

20220604_195603.jpg

20220604_195406.jpg

20220604_195508.jpg

20220604_195553.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to get wall flange to seal

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Aneil. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing taps.

Could you tell our helpful members a little bit more about what this issue is that you're experiencing? That way, they'd be better placed to offer some solutions.

At first glance, your first image shows what looks to be a well-fitted flange. Is the issue that you can't now attach the handle? Or, is it that the handle is now placed too far out from the wall?

If you can provide some more details on the difficulties you're experiencing and which spindle extenders you've used, I trust we'll be able to work this out. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Aneil
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for the reply!

The photo is deceiving. There's a 2mm gap between the flange and the slide. 

The taps are Mondella resonance with an enduraseal slide flange. The ceramic disk extenders are Brasshards 25mm. When I place the flange over the extenders and screw the slide on there's a 2mm gap between the two. 

I also don't understand how the flange stays secure. It's not threaded and can freely move backwards. 

Thanks for your help! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Aneil,

Could you please indicate on your image where this 2mm gap is, as I'm finding it a little bit difficult to understand where the issue lies. 

Have you attempted to install the handle and does that hold the flange in place? Typically, once the handle is locked onto the spindle end, the flange can't go anywhere as it's retained by it.

Mitchell

Aneil
Cultivating a Following

20220607_055522.jpg

20220607_055359.jpg

20220607_055120.jpg

20220607_055233.jpg

Hey MitchellMC. 

I've taken a few more photos. Hopefully this clarifies the problem a bit.

With these particular wall taps it has sleeve and a flange. The flange is a "slide flange". It has no thread. It has a rubber o ring and just slides back and forth along the sleeve. I assume it needs silicone against the wall when it's home to secure it but it's just not quite long enough.

Added some measurements to help explain the issue. I've contacted bunnings but can't figure out a solution that doesn't involve silicone against the wall and in the gap between the flange and the slide.

20220607_055630.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Aneil,

I suspect the extenders you've used have placed the spindle fractionally too far out from the wall for the sleeve and flange to cover it entirely. If the spindle was recessed further into the wall, I don't believe you'd be experiencing this issue.

What was the need for the spindle extenders in the first place? Was it the reverse of this issue where you couldn't get the tap handle on as the spindle was recessed too far into the wall?

Unfortunately, with wall spindles, you can run into issues where they can be challenging to install due to the depth at which you need to install them and the tile/wall lining thickness. The only solution I can think of would be finding a slightly shorter spindle extender. Anything 2mm shorter should work.

Mitchell

Aneil
Cultivating a Following

Thanks MC.

No spindle extenders are installed. Had to use ceramic disk extenders because the seats are recessed into the wall a fraction too deep for the supplied spindles and they wouldn't hit the seat. Can't seem to find anything shorter than the 25mm extenders already installed. Mondella list a flange extender but it doesn't look like they make one for this model. Thought about trouble domes but they'd need to have a depth of 18mm or so.... Apart from silicone against the wall and in the gap I'm at a loss...

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I apologise, @Aneil. I used a generic term as the ceramic disc extender also extends the spindle further out from the wall, which is the issue here. The spindles are designed to be mounted further into the wall, which you cannot do. Due to pushing them further out with the disc extender, the flanges are not sitting correctly.

I presume you adjusted the spindle nut to total depth capacity before using the extenders? 

Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Aneil 

Just to add to the recommendations made, have you thought about putting a Kinetic 3/4" BSP 10mm Rise Chrome Cover Plate? Place the kinetic flange first followed by the Mondella flange so that it raises the original flange higher. It is one alternative to having to put silicone in the gap.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your wall taps installed.

Eric

Aneil
Cultivating a Following

Hey Eric.

Yeah. I got these stainless steel guys and the ID of the hole was too small to go over the nut on the ceramic disk extenders. Had to get a pencil grinder to enlarge the hole.

Not super happy with the finish and I'd still have to silicone the dome to the wall and flange to the dome.

If I have to I will but I'm thinking if I've got to silicone those two, may as well just get some grey silicone for the gap. 

Hoping to find a cleaner option. Thanks for the advice. I'll take anything I can get 😊

16545853954762830698574367165205.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects