Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install a bathroom?

beckybec84
Just Starting Out

How to install a bathroom?

0A470130-E11A-43D0-A2CF-B44A82F20EF8.jpeg

  

5994782B-AF11-46F0-BC71-C6352DD18851.jpeg

Just after advise on how to complete a started bathroom. Bought the house with a start to a second bathroom and would like to complete it but I have no idea what comes next. Do I need to paint the walls with bathroom waterproof paint? Do I lay tiles on the floor than put the shower, toilet and vanity in?? I’m after doing it myself as thinking it will be cheaper. But I like a challenge and I want to do it ourselves. Any and all advise is definitely welcome. And thank you so much for your help. As you can see, the room is being used as a storeroom right now, but you can see where the fixtures are. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install a bathroom

Hello @beckybec84

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your desire to finish your bathroom renovation.

It's great that you've decided to finish the bathroom remodeling. I suggest making a list of the items that you would like to put into your new bathroom. I recommend considering if you will need the services of a plumber and electrician. By making this list it will allow you to see which parts you can do yourself. It will also give you a rough guide on how much the renovation will cost.

When placing an item in your list, it's important to consider its size and shape and the direction it will be facing in the bathroom. Will there be enough room to walk through once you've placed the item in the bathroom. There are several ways to proceed:

• Doing a section-by-section renovation. For example, waterproofing the shower area, then tiling the floor and shower area. Once the tiling is finished you can then install the shower assembly. 
  • You can gather all the materials in the garage for one continuous effort. If you use a tradesperson make sure to schedule ahead to avoid having to lose his services due to other commitments.
  • Doing a single item in the bathroom as time permits. For example, tiling only one side of the wall.

The workshop community is the ideal place to ask D.I.Y. questions and seek advice on planned projects. 

Here is a handy guide to start you on your journey: Bathroom renovations on a budget

Here is a link to provide you with ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular bathroom projects

Let me tag our experienced members @ProjectPete and @Justlucky2k2 for their recommendations.

Please keep us updated, we look forward to the start of your bathroom renovation.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects