Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove acrylic tap handles ?

hassall147
Growing in Experience

How to remove acrylic tap handles ?

20210703_120657.jpg

Can anyone please help me identify these shrouded taps, and/or tell me how to get the handles off ? I've had a look on YouTube, and everywhere else, but I can't find them. There's no button to hide a locking screw, no  grub screw through to the spindle, and no threaded lock-ring under the shroud that I can see. If they are simply push-on, pull-off, they are on very, very tight, and I am worried I might break them if I try to force them. Additional photos below for ID. Any assistance greatly appreciated. Many thanks. Steve

20210703_120724.jpg

20210703_120753.jpg

20210705_143947.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove acrylic tap handles ?

Hello @hassall147

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about removing your tap handle.

It looks like a traditional skirt-fixed handle. I suggest giving this method a try. Hold the top plastic handle steady with one hand. Place your other hand on the silver skirt under the plastic handle. Keeping the plastic top steady, turn the silver skirt anti-clockwise. If the skirt moves and makes it tighter go in the other direction.

If it is too difficult to remove, I recommend replacing it with the Estilo Chrome Washing Machine Set. Easy to install and works with almost all types of washing machines.

Please keep us updated, if you need more information please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
hassall147
Growing in Experience

Eric ! ... It worked !! You are a lifesaver. Thank you very much for your prompt reply. Very much appreciated.  👍

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @hassall147

I'm delighted that you've managed to remove the handle from the tap assembly. Your next step is to either repair the unit or find a suitable replacement. We would love to see a photo update once you've repaired your washing machine taps.

If you need further assistance or information, please let us know.

Eric

Thank you Eric for your invaluable advice. I have identical kitchen tap handles installed (circa 1988) to hassall147‘s tap handles. Your instructions worked immediately.

Regards, idjohnsto

ps: I was led to hassall147‘s tap handle inquiry and your advice by using the Google reverse image search.

Google Search Help explains how to do such image searches at https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/1325808?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DiOS

Good good @idjohnsto, many thanks for letting us know this discussion was helpful to you. As you browse the Bunnings Workshop site you'll find our wonderful community is sharing loads of helpful advice and inspiring projects on the site every day. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand - we're here to help.

Welcome aboard,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects