Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove bathroom sink taps that won't come off?

DIYHaveaCrack
Cultivating a Following

How to remove bathroom sink taps that won't come off?

So removing taps to paint my vanity. It looked so easy in all the youtube videos! Mains water off (as the basin does not appear to have an isolation valve so better safe than sorry. Removed the cap. Thought the tap head would then either just lift off or screw off but does not want to budge after a certain point. Any suggestions? Might end up being a plumber job after all which is a shame.

20230912_102110_resized.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to remove bathroom sink taps that won't come off?

Morning @DIYHaveaCrack 

"I'm not having much luck!"

As per Jason - any luck lately? Further developments? Keep trying.

There is a Handle Puller you could try. The first reviewer wasn't impressed - but, worth a look?

The tap photo with the white collar - seen at far right on your tap collection photos  - I have one of those. You need to pull hard - it will come off.

I've always wondered if a gear puller would help with some stubborn tap handles?  🤔

20230914_113334.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Sorry - missed your post @DIYHaveaCrack 

I'm stuck on page 2. 😔

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DIYHaveaCrack 

I'm afraid that if it is too difficult to remove, my next suggestion would have been to engage a registered plumber. They will have a similar tool such as a gear puller that will enable them to take the handles off.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your taps repaired.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYHaveaCrack
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Eric. Yes that's what I have ended up doing as per my reply back to Jason. :smile: I will certainly post some pics of all my questions (there have been so many!) once they are fixed. getting there!

Hi everyone. Just an update on the taps! Getting the plumber in was a necessity and I was glad I did it for several reasons. The taps on the basin did require some brute force (and the plumber was a big lad!)...even took him a while but they came free eventually. I explained exactly what I wanted to do (leave the taps and spout off and the plug out so I could paint the vanity) and he was very helpful and even installed a couple of stopcock taps under the vanity so I could work on it without having to turn the water off to the rest of the house (pic below). This was ideal and not something I could have done. The bath taps also proved tricky and required some force. The thing I missed with the shower taps was the little tiny screw in the handle (this is shown in Eric's washer changing video) so lookout for this one. Two guys came so in the end one changed over the bath and shower taps while one worked on the vanity and I did cleanup ready for the new taps (apprentice plumber!). Slowly coming together. Shower taps and headShower taps and headBath tapsBath tapsVanity StopcocksVanity Stopcocks

Well done - glad ya got it sorted! 👍

Great stuff, @DIYHaveaCrack

Many thanks for your update.

Mitchell 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects