Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove the tap to fix water dripping?

gavin16
Growing in Experience

How to remove the tap to fix water dripping?

Hi, water slowly dripping despite tightening the holder, guess must be the washer. how do I change the washer from the attached tap? This is the 1990s tap. In the 2nd photo, underneath the sink. No leakage under the sink though.

IMG20211019075638[1].jpgIMG20211019075631[1].jpg 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove the tap to fix water dripping from tap?

Hello @gavin16

Thanks for sharing your question about how to remove a tap in order to fix a leak.

Your tap handle is held in by an anti-vandal tap screw. If you were to run your fingers or look underneath the handle you will see two slots. These slots are made to accept a special tool that will allow the internal screw to be taken off and the tap handle to lift up. I've placed a picture below of the Kinetic Spout And Handle Repair Kit. I want you to look at the flat tool on the very left with two prongs pointing up. This is the tool you need to remove the locking screw.

Once you have the tool, gently line up the prongs pointing up into the bottom slots of the tap handle. Once the prongs are locked in place hold the tap handle steady and gently turn the tool clockwise. Once the screw comes down and out lift the tap handle slowly as parts of the locking mechanism may fall into the drain.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know. 

Eric   

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gavin16
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric,

I hv unscrewed the tap handle and it looks similar to this. Do I still need the kinetic kit to remove and replace washer?

IMG20210807195017[1].jpg 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Gavin.

You've moved onto a different sink and taps?

Get a shifter onto it and rotate right...

Water turned off?

Washer ready?

Good luck!  :smile:

20211021_121618.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @gavin16

It's great that you've received fantastic advice from @Noyade. The picture that's been posted is the perfect way to remove the spindle off the base of the tap assembly. Because you've removed everything, you will not need the special tool anymore. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your tapware fixed and ready for use.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects