Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace non-standard sized shower floor grate?

krunchfrog
Getting Established

How to replace non-standard sized shower floor grate?

Hi there,

We recently bought an early '90s house in Brisbane and the plastic shower drain grate is broken. It doesn't seem to be a "standard" size however, being about 11cm. The shower floor grates I've looked at on the bunnings website and elsewhere online appear to be 10cm for the actual 'grate' part and the outside fitting with the tail is approx 11cm. That would be fine, however the floor drain itself slopes inward and therefore the tail part of the fitting won't fit inside the existing drain pipe.

Is there a solution for this that doesn't involve replacing the whole thing, ie. getting a plumber out to remove the old floor drain and putting in a new one? Would like to avoid that if possible as we've had them out to do so many things recently and I'm a bit over it to be honest!! At the moment we're just keeping a silicone one on top of it so that we don't have to see it...

I've attached a couple of pictures. Apologies in advance for the grossness - hope nobody is eating!

I hope I've been clear enough about what I'm asking - I'm not great with the correct terminology for all of this stuff so please let me know if I need to explain anything more clearly! 

Thanks in advance for any advice! :smile:

20220126_075411.jpg20220126_075446.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace non-standard sized shower floor grate?

Hello @VirginiaLawn 

Let me tag @krunchfrog to make them aware of your question. It would be nice to find out which solution they went with. If you have the exact same type of waste cover and you're not keen on breaking the tiles and concrete, I suggest thinking about using a chrome coated brass waste cover such as the Kinetic 100mm Chrome Brass Square Floor Grate

The top piece can be grinded down to the same diameter as your old plastic cover. The bottom fittings will need to grinded away as well, but other than that once you have the correct size it should fit in nicely into the old plastic housing. There is no need to use the square chrome housing as you only need the top cover.

I recommend bringing the old waste cover to the store so that you can compare it with the chrome sets available. This will give you a very good idea of which one is close to the size that you need.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to replace non-standard sized shower floor grate?

@VirginiaLawn 

Hello there! I ended up buying a stainless steel drain cover the same diameter as the old one from somewhere online - I think it was from aliexpress! 

I hope you're able to find something for yours too. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects