Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore the shaving cabinet?

Edgar
Growing in Experience

How to restore the shaving cabinet?

Having decided not to go through with a full bathroom renovation, we need to do something with what is left if the old shavers cabinet. It would originally have had sliding glass doors, but all we have now is the cavity. 

Any ideas on how to restore it back to its original condition? Also, any other suggestions as to what to do with it would be welcome. 

Thank you 😊 

20240323_154147.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: reinstating the shavers cabinet

Hi @Edgar,

Would you like to reinstate the glass sliding doors? If so, you'd likely need to create a timber sliding track for the glass to run in, and you'll then need to acquire custom-sized glass panels to suit the cabinet. Alternatively, you could install some timber framing and add standard cabinet doors onto the unit. Remember to wear appropriate PPE when handling glass, including cut-resistant gloves, safety glasses, a long-sleeved shirt and pants and enclosed footwear. 

If you are not confident in creating the timber track, then you might like to employ the services of a professional to return the unit to its former glory.

Apart from adding doors back onto the unit, what were you looking to do with it? If you have any ideas, they would help our members make relevant suggestions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Edgar
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitchell. Can you point me to any resources that you know of that might help me build or source the track? I know it's a long shot.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Edgar 

I suggest having a look at the Cowdroy 1800mm White Plastic Sliding Door Track. It's ready to use easy to install and has double tracks for 5mm glass or mirror panels. It has the same width to permit identical grooving to top and bottom opening. It comes with pre-drilled holes and suits openings up to 1800mm wide. 

The other option is to use a pine timber piece and get a router to cut a channel for the glass panel. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects