Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal shower taps repair bath rust?

LivMitch
Cultivating a Following

How to seal shower taps repair bath rust?

Hello there,

SECURING TAPS 

Can you please tell me what product I need to secure my shower taps to the wall? 

There was some kind of clear silicon before that I cut away to replace the washers. See photo.

BATH RUST

I repaired a rust patch in my bath tub years ago using Selleys Appliance Touch Up. It worked very well.

The patch is the size of a 5-cent coin and has begun to rust slightly around the very edges.

How would you recommend repairing this to prevent further deterioration? Image attached.

20230609_bath 5c coin size rust.jpg20230615_shower taps.jpg

Thanks so much,

Liv 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal shower taps repair bath rust?

Hello @LivMitch 

To secure the flange cover of your taps, I suggest using Selleys 100g Clear Ezi Press Wet Area Silicone Sealant. I recommend only putting a small bead around the flange to hold it in place. It's best to use masking tape to keep the flange from moving while the silicone cures. 

In regards to your bath, I suggest sanding the damaged area and using Rust-Oleum Tub And Tile Touch Up Kit. It is critical to follow the preparation instructions so that you will get a solid patch on the tub.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when repairing your bathroom fittings.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LivMitch
Cultivating a Following

Hi again Eric,

Terrific, thanks for those recommendations. I'll certainly get onto it.

So very grateful for your assistance and helping me to become self-sufficient in my DIY home repairs. What a great service you provide.

Liv :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @LivMitch 

Please keep us updated with your progress, if you run into any other issues don't hesitate to post a question. 

We'll be more than happy to help.

Eric

LivMitch
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric,

The Selleys Ezi Seal worked well and easy to apply, thank you.  I hope it's as easy to get off next time I need to change a washer.

The Rust Oleum Tub and Tile touch up kit was also easy to apply and instructions were clear. Thanks also. 

Liv.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @LivMitch 

Thank you very much for the update. The Ezi Seal should come off without too much trouble when the time comes to change the washer. I'm glad to hear that the tub and tile kit worked well.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects