Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laundry reno - questions re: shelving and plumbing

MelC1
Cultivating a Following

Laundry reno - questions re: shelving and plumbing

Hi

I'm planning some work in our laundry over the school holidays.  For perspective, the room layout is:

Layout.jpg

Hopefully my writing is legible over the graph pad squares.

The area I want to work on looks like this:

Current look.jpeg

Please excuse the mess!  

Our cat's litter tray sits on the newspaper and the cupboard behind it is hardly used.

This is what I'm thinking of doing:

New look.jpg

So I'd be installing a bench (stretching across the area), replacing the basic shelves with open cube shelves and replacing the sink cupboard with a simple front cover (just enough to hide the plumbing) so that the litter tray could sit underneath the sink, out of the way.  I'd also paint the walls (I narrowed the colour down to a couple of nice pale greys at Bunnings today).

Question 1: What would be the best way to install the new shelves?  I'm thinking I'll have to make them first.  I had a look at the cube shelves in Bunnings and they don't work for the space (size wise).

Question 2 (this is probably one for a plumber): Is it possible to change the layout of the pipes (see below), to give more clearance?  I.e. lift it all up.  We have a tall cat!

Plumbing.jpg

I'm also thinking that replacing the internal door with a barn style one might be a good way to create some space.

Possible tile and bench wood combo:

Bench tile combo.jpg

Regards

Melanie

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Laundry reno - questions re: shelving and plumbing

Hi @MelC1,

It's wonderful to see you making your first post after being part of the community for some time. Thanks for sharing the beginnings of your project with us.

Let me tag @diy_hausdesigns and @rubytuesday1953 who have shared fantastic laundry shelving projects and may be able to offer ideas for yours. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will also be happy to help with any questions when he's back on the site on Friday.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Hi @MelC1 and @StevieB 

Sounds like you've put a great amount of time into planning it all out. Great work!

I would suggest making your own shelves particularly if the store bought ones aren't to you preference. They can be fairly simple to create.

Bunnings has a great range of chipboard/ timber panels etc that I love to use to create shelves in my projects. Generally speaking, by making them youself, you are likely to have an easier time securing them to the wall studs (assuming the wall is timber framed) and also have something better fitting. 

All the best and happy to help along the way.

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns
MelC1
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @StevieB , much appreciated.

MelC1
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @diy_hausdesigns , I’ll check out the chipboard/timber panels (and your Workshop posts 😁). Yes, the wall is timber framed.

Hi MelC1,

Sorry, I can't help with your plumbing issues, but I highly recommend the shelf unit design that @diy_hausdesigns  let me use. It's relatively easy to make (even though he very graciously let me pester him a bit about some measurements) 

It will add a touch of class to your laundry. 

I'm sure he will let you use the design if you like it

Good luck with your project

Regards 

@rubytuesday1953 

MelC1
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @rubytuesday1953.  @Chaks_DIY 's stylish design has given me food for thought.  This is the look I've had in mind (but with more wall space between the bench and shelves):

Shelves.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sounds like a great project @MelC1.

So, are you replacing the cabinet sink with one that inserts into your new timber benchtop? If so, I see no reason why the plumber couldn't do some tricky pipework and shift the 'S'-bend over to the right-hand side, so your cat has more room. You might want to check with them to see what type of plumbing options are available so that the pipework is entirely hidden, Seems like a lot of work to end up with exposed plumbing work.

If you're not planning on replacing the cabinet sink, how were you intending on running the benchtop across it?

Mitchell

MelC1
Cultivating a Following

Hi @MitchellMc 

Yes, I’m thinking of replacing the existing sink. Bunnings have a couple of round ones that I like the look of. Next task: call a plumber!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

See if the plumber can run a sharp corner out of the plug waste underneath the sink and shift the 'S'-bend right over to the wall. Then you'll be able to box it in with some timber to hide the plumbing.

Keep us updated and reach out if you have further questions. 

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects