Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Laundry renovation

BryceBrad
Growing in Experience

Laundry renovation

Hi All,

Im in the process of renovating my laundry room and would like to do all the preparation work for the plumber to eventually do. I need to cut the subfloor to open it up for the plumber but im worried I may not be able to just cut a small section without having to replace the whole floor. So the question is it is possible to cut out a small section of the floor and also replace that with an equivalent after the work has bern completed. Or will i have to remove the whole subfloor for the room? 

Intent is to get the plumber to connect the floor waste to the laundry sink waste. So if the washing machine leaks or anything there is somewhere for the water to go. 

20200815_131829.jpg

20200815_131831.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Laundry renovation

Hi @BryceBrad,

Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to start the conversation.

It is possible to cut a small section out of the floor and replace it afterwards. You'll need to consider whether just cutting a small section out will be a viable option. If the drain line can run in parallel to the floor joists then it will be a relatively simple procedure. Running drainpipes through floor joists is more complicated than running them parallel to the joists as each joist must have a separate notch or hole placed in them.

There's a few ways to replace the section of subfloor afterwards. The simplest method is to use the existing joists and then install timbers where necessary to support the edges of the new piece of subfloor that is being installed.

Let me mention a couple of knowledgable member @Brad and @ProjectPete who might like to join the conversation.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BryceBrad
Growing in Experience

Thanks for your help Mitchell,

As you have right fully mentioned, I opened a section of the floor and it looks like I will need to run through the one joist then connect to the sink drain. It would  be simple to have the floor waste parallel to thr joists however it would look off centrered when the job is complete. So might have to cut through the joist.

20200815_171137.jpg

20200815_171440.jpg

20200815_172625.jpg

20200815_172038.jpg

Hi @BryceBrad,

You'll need to go through the joist as the drain has to be somewhat central in the room so the floor can be graded towards it. The easiest access would be to run the new pipes as I have illustrated below, however, I would prefer them to go a more direct route noted with the arrows. The more direct route marked will be a little more difficult to achieve as the join will then be under the partition wall. It would be great to chop the right angle corner out and replace it with a T joiner there, but by the time you remove it, there is not going to be enough pipe length left to glue in the new T connector.

In any case, I trust it will be little to no hassle for a plumber to connect it up for you. You might want to wait for them before removing pieces of the joist as it won't necessarily suit the layout they'd suggest.

Mitchell

BryceBrad
Growing in Experience

Thanks Mitch,

What you have drawn is excatly what I had in mind. I will update this trend once I get the plumber to install the new drain.

Cheers

BryceBrad
Growing in Experience

Update to the laundry renovation, the floor waste has been roughed in and soon to be closed so work can be done around the area safely. The framing for the hidden cistern has also been done and will be ready for the plumber to do in one hit hopefully.
Roughed in hidden cisternRoughed in hidden cisternRoughed in new floor wasteRoughed in new floor waste
Im stuck between picking the tapware. Currently the taps are wall mount. The advantage with this is that there is more space which would be normally be taken up by the tap if it was mounted on the bench. Also means less cutting of the proposed concrete top and the splashback would have no interuptions. However the bench mounts mixer taps seem to be more modern. However, they dont seem as robust as the traditional taps. Any opinions? Attached the model with what I intend on achieving without the taps.

Machine washing taps would be located under the bench and depending on what option I go with it may end being one of the following.
Double stop tap for tap and washing machine
https://www.bunnings.com.au/kinetic-15-x-15mm-chrome-plated-double-mini-cistern-stop-tap_p4920339?Re...

Single stop tap for washing machine under sink

https://www.bunnings.com.au/kinetic-20mm-chrome-plated-1-4-turn-washing-machine-stop_p5001834

Option1
https://www.bunnings.com.au/ezyfix-wels-5-star-5-5l-min-chrome-modern-wall-sink-set_p5003886

Option 2 

Option 1:Bench mounted tapsOption 1:Bench mounted tapsOption 2:Bench mounted tapsOption 2:Bench mounted tapsExisting pipework for tapwareExisting pipework for tapware

Proposed layout
Model of LaundryModel of Laundry

Thanks for the update @BryceBrad. Great to see progress.

Let me tag @Former Workshop member, @JDE and @redracer01 to see if they might share their thoughts with you about the taps. 

Jason

BryceBrad
Growing in Experience

Hi

Is anyone able to advise if I am doing something wrong here. Bought two floor wastes and they both seem to be too high. Is there something I need to do? 

Seems higher even after adding two tiles. I can't go higher because the floor has to match the adjacent floor. Im thinking maybe the underlay should have been thinner. However, dont think it comes in any size other than 6mm.

20201202_214431.jpg

20201202_214438.jpg

Hi @BryceBrad,

Your waste pipe height needs to be set to accommodate your drain grate thickness. The section that retains the grate on that floor waste is too thick and would require the connection to the waste pipe to be much lower down. You'll note that grates like Kinetic 100mm Chrome Brass Square Floor Grate are much thinner and more in the realm of where you must be. This might be a case of the plumber presuming you are using an older style floor waste and setting the height to suit. 

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects