Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Looking for ideas for budget laundry reno

cthomas
Finding My Feet

Looking for ideas for budget laundry reno

Hi All,

Just looking for opinions/ideas for our Laundry on a budget. As this laundry also has a spare toilet (currently unused until we get the new toilet installed - we already have the toilet in storage and a plumber mate who can install it) we'd also like to make it suitable for a guest bathroom but still functional for laundry/space for our Kitty's litter tray/food etc

We were thinking of a bench the entire length, including over the toilet that would perhaps be on hinges where the toilet sits so it could be lifted when the toilet would be in use but definitely open to all other ideas.

Not sure if we will re-tile the floor at this stage but definitely like the look of large light greyish tiles to about halfway up the wall.

Any inspo/ideas are very welcome - i have been loving looking at what others have done in their space :smile:

117106489_596048554409767_8854645766786360734_n.jpg117160137_372141920456411_2736626755468584399_n.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Looking for ideas for budget laundry reno

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @cthomas. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for sharing your project.

You've got a great space to work with there and what you've outlined is very achievable. I've placed your laundry space into the Kaboodle 3D planner and had a look at what could be achieved with some cabinetry. I think a key element that would need to be swapped out is the laundry tub. Changing the tub to a Euro-style in bench sink will certainly give the area more of a bathroom feel yet making sure it still functions as a laundry.

I would be fond of swapping out those vertical blinds for some plantation shutters on a track system either in white or raw timber as I think that would complement the look.

I'd encourage you to check out the $500 Bunnings laundry reno by @prettylivingLaundry makeover first-time reno by @Gillgirl and Laundry makeover by @Fishvince if you haven't already seen their inspirational posts.

Let me also mention the fabulous @redracer01 to see if he has some alternate ideas to share.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Wow that looks absolutely beautiful!! Thank you! the only thing I’d probably change is I’d get rid of the cupboard on the right hand side (As much as I’d love to have a hidden washing basket in there!) and just keep a bench there so I can store kitty’s litter tray underneath so it’s out of the way. Absolutely love it! 
Totally agree about the verticals also, they’re gone ASAP 😂

Yes I’ve checked those posts too which pushed me to ask for inspo for ours-it is a matter of walking in store and just talking to someone? We have never renovated before - aside from our floors and gardening lol 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@cthomas,

You could always install a cat flap on the front of the door, so it's an enclosed litter tray in the cabinet. Just depends on whether your cat would appreciate that or not. It's totally up to you, my render is just something to get you started.

The team instore are much more talented than me in using the planner, so it would be worth getting their expert advice on the layout. Apart from that though if you take a copy of my render and your measurements and adjustments they'll be able to sort it out for you.

For your reference, I've used 900mm wall cabs, a 600mm cab for the sink and the one on the right was a 450mm.

You'll need a plumber to relocate those taps on the wall down below the benchtop or use @Fishvince's technique of running the hoses through it.

Mitchell

Hello @cthomas 

Below are some possible configurations but I believe @MitchellMc has given you an excellent layout. I've drawn a secondary layout just in case you decide to get rid of the other toilet in the future. Good luck and be safe.

Cheers!

Red

cthomas1.jpgcthomas2.jpgcthomas3.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thank you so much, this gives me so much to think about! I’m going to have to go down to Bunnings and have a chat with the staff I think! 

cthomas
Finding My Feet

Ok so we popped down to Bunnings today to see what we could suss out and essentially we are looking at pretty much the exact design you gave us @MitchellMc ! 

we are probably looking to go a larger sink however (rococo single bowl square looks the goods) but wondered if Bunnings can cut to size and also cut the right hole for the sink/work out correct placement etc? 

im bloody hopeless with this stuff 😂  

what is the tool you used to make up these designs? I’d love to try and have a go with adding in/removing storage options/hanging rails  etc. 

thanks ! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @cthomas,

Mitchell will be back on the site on Friday. I'm sure he'll be happy to assist further.  

Could you please tell us your nearest Bunnings store? Many stores do offer a timber cutting service. 

Mitch would have used the Kaboodle kitchen planner tool to create his design, while Red uses the free Google Sketchup design tool. 

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @cthomas ,

Our benchtop manufacturers can cut your ordered benchtop to size prior to sending it out to us. Unfortunately, they are unable to cut tap and sinks holes as there are just too many variables at play to ensure correct placement. 

Cutting out the bench for the sink insert can certainly be a D.I.Y job. This helpful step-by-step video on How to install a laundry trough will assist you in installing your new sink.

We're more than happy to guide you through the entire process and provide support along the way.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

Hi,

Carly has given me the job of getting this all sorted as it does not seem to be adding up to what she is after. 

We don't want to change the plumbing or wall points so what we would like is the following if possible

You'll have to bare with me with this. 

We have enough room for a bench top of 170cm. Any longer and it will be in the way of the toilet we will be installing. 

Under the 170cm bench space this is want to fit in this order
x1 floor cupboard which will house a large sink (450x450x200)
our washing machine at 60cm wide 55 long & 85cm high
Linen Chute

For the wall we have an area of 210cm
We would like Wall Cupboard > floating shelf > Wall cupboard. 
Floating shelf length will be dependent on available room 

Can you please advise what products (with product codes) fit for this layout and if possible have a photo so we can check how it looks.

Cheers 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects